Altoamprologus calvus

frogman

They take a long time to become sexually mature. I had a pair that were over a year before they spawned - male was getting close to 3" and female was just 2". They'd spawn every month or so until they decided to do it the same time as the Julidochromis... the Calvus lost. :(

They take a long time to become sexually mature. I had a pair that were over a year before they spawned - male was getting close to 3" and female was just 2". They'd spawn every month or so until they decided to do it the same time as the Julidochromis... the Calvus lost. sad.gif

what size of cave did you get them to breed in

I used a 2" Moon Snail shell - I have read that it's best to have a cave where the female can fit in and the male can't.

• 3 months later...

has any one here breed calvus here

I've spawned several types of Calvus and Compressiceps,they are very slow to mature and my best success was with conch shells standing upright,they seem to like vertical oriented spaces,there are some people who build vertcal caves similar to pleco caves out of terracotta that should work