Another question about lotus....

catshanon

So my red lotus is not red anymore and it has sent leaves upto the surface. Is this due to low light ? I have 8 leaves that have reached the surface and are not letting any light through. Is this natural or are they supposed to stay below water with reddish leaves ? The leaves are green with reddish splotches in them. The underside of the leaves are red though.

Any thoughts will be appreciated..

Raj

or you could leave the leaves the way they are , and try and get it to flower. mine turned green with red spots as well when it hit the surface.

my lotus with pics of flower

the plant is fine, and healthy. i let mine flower, just too see it. now i have it trimmed back and all under water. i trim any leaves that hit the surface.

my flower hit the light and got burnt. it would have lasted a lot longer if it didn't get burnt. it is also a night bloomer. closes during the day and opens at night.

It could be your lights but fertilization plays a bigger role. Are those leaves that reached the top the proper color?

The leaves are 4" in diameter and green with red splotches. They are exactly like the leaves that are in fleshgear's link.

What is your dosing regime? What type of lights do you have? Can you provie details on your full setup including co2, fishload and substrate?

I have a very erratic dosing regime and I have T5HO, although the lights are not directly on top of the lotus. I have fluorite and pressurized CO2, but recently the tank is being neglected due to lack of time ... :cry: :cry: :cry:

If you want your lotus plant to stay small and at the bottom, you have to train it. Cut off all the leaves that are floating to the top. Make sure you cut right at the base. Then anytime a new leaf runner comes out, just cut it off if it goes past a certain height. Over time, it will start growing compact.

Thanks, I will take your advice. I am trying to grow some rotala waliichi and alternanthera reinicki, so I definitely have to cut back the leaves so that light can enter the tank.

I too have a 'Red' Tiger Lotus that is green. I picked it up at the auction, and have never seen a red leaf... I was starting to think it was a Green Tiger Lotus. But, if extra N will help make it red, then I'll add more!

• 2 weeks later...

I too have a red Tiger Lotus, and it has behaved exactly like the one the OP has. It spent about 2-3 weeks on the bottom of the tank filling out, and then dedicated itself to sending shoots to the surface. After 8 weeks, I have about 8 floating pads, and two shoots en route to the surface at any given time. This seemed novel at first, but the plant is becoming a light hog.

My reading has suggested this is normal and not a result of any particular lighting/fertilizing situation. If left unchecked, they will try for the surface to set up pads and eventually flowers. If this is not desired, the shoots should be cut and discouraged to promote bottom growth. Once they find the top they are hard to retrain.

Mine is down two 2 leaves. little tiny ones. I rearranged the whole tanks to appease it and my cichlids. It is now in a more open area where its only neighbour is a short grass.