Looking for your opinion...

nevchewy

Here are a couple of pictures of the labs. These were taken in the bag and then released. They were only in my tank for an hour when these pics were taken:

These 3 I got for $28:

yellow1.jpg

This was the bag labelled as a female ($15):

yellow2.jpg

This was the best group shot i could take:

yellow3.jpg

yellow4.jpg

yellow5.jpg

This is the female with my socofoli:

yellow6.jpg

yellow7.jpg

yellow8.jpg

in the bag of 3 all have egg spots while the single female doesn't.

Is it normal for labs to have egg spots?

Please feel free to comment on my pick up. I'm no expert but... i really like their coloring!

If it was you that submitted them to the auction.... again i thank you!

nevchewy

Hey Nev, congrats on the new labs!

To be honest, it's difficult to really comment on the quality by the pics you provided. I'm also assuming that your lighting is causing them to appear more orange, than yellow. The 5th pic looks the best, and it appears to be a quality fish.

What size are they?

FYI - the only way to truly sex a lab is by venting them, or seeing females holding. Egg spots, amount of black on the lower fins, etc-etc, is not a reliable method. I have females that most people would bet money on them being males.

I'm new to venting... but when they were in thier bags in the tank... i could see underneith them.

To be honest they all looked like they are female!

they all had a large hole that looked similar to the female zebra that i have. It almost looked swollen...

I'm no expert... and i could be wrong.

I'll try to take more pics for you to see.

Thanks again RD!

nev

~~ EDIT ~~

Sorry for got to add... the biggest one is about 3 inches and the smallest about 2.5 inches.

Edited by nevchewy

Please feel free to comment on my pick up

Well, if I'm not mistaken... The one marked as "female" is in fact a female, since she spawned the 3 juvies in the other bag; and I suspect should be spawning shortly. As for the 3 juvies, my hunch is that there's 1 female & 2 males.

:smokey:

Please feel free to comment on my pick up

Well, if I'm not mistaken... The one marked as "female" is in fact a female, since she spawned the 3 juvies in the other bag; and I suspect should be spawning shortly. As for the 3 juvies, my hunch is that there's 1 female & 2 males.

Thanks for the info! i will keep us up to date if she does!

Is there anything else you can tell me about them?

i really like them.

please PM me if youèd like!

it could be the light in my tank RD, but they are not the same color as yours in your avatar. They are very deep yellow... but not orange.

hopefully they will spawn for me!

k9outfit - did you get rid part of your breeding group?

nev

Nev - I just saw your edit on the size of these fish. I'm probably sticking my neck on the chopping block, but it won't be the first time. :ph43r:

At 2.5-3 inches, a quality lab will have much better black showing on the dorsal fin, even if it's a sub dom fish, such as this small male. (that was under 3")

lab-tank10.jpg

Here's what I look for in a quality male:

labcf1.jpg

As for the female (shown at the top in the bag), she appears in that pic to have a lot of white showing on her, is that right? I get the odd female like that, and although this may sound harsh, I cull them. Those are genes I refuse to pass on.

Although this isn't a very good pic, here's a pic of a 2.5" holding female of mine.

The photo doesn't do her justice, her color is amazing. Also notice how solid the black submarginal banding is on her dorsal fin.

labd7.jpg

My advice is this, if you are 'serious' about breeding yellow labs, get some F1 fish from Kyle.

k9outfit - did you get rid part of your breeding group?

:blush: I don't have "breeding groups".... :blush: I'm doing this all backwards, but everything seems happy enough to breed (like rabbits!). For the Electric Yellows, some were TOO dominant and some were too wimpey for the tanks they were in. And, for better or worse, I can't NOT have anything in the auction, so they were "chosen". I did keep 3 of them though (took one of the wrong ones to the auction! :chair:), and I also have some labs on order from Kyle, so had to make room for them. The 3 juvies do have a great yellow (must be that NLS), but I prefer an all yellow female to 1 with white on the belly - which the female has.

Anyway, glad you like them! :)

The pictures that i posted were when i released the fish into the tank...

They all have the black throught their top fin... just not as long and black as yours... and your right the female does have white in her. but the others do not.

your labs are beautiful!!!

with the lighting or not i do not think they are the same color as yours. they are more of an orange tinge... but they are still a bright yellow, just a darker hue.

I'm not serious in breeding these fish...

or any of them in my 90 gallon tank.

my goal is to get those saulosi's from kyle and the ones from James in winnipeg and breed those.

I know they will be quality and i cannot wait to get them. I'm getting those rusty's as well that you reccommended from james too... if they are nice i, may attempt to breed those as well.

I'm still new to this and i have made mistakes... but i like my tank and so far everthing gets a long in it.

thanks RD!

nev

Nev ....... Trust me, you won't be able to stop those rusties from breeding, they're worse than rabbits! LOL To be honest, I seldom see rusties for sale in AB, and the ones I had from James (via Doc Polit) are still the nicest I have ever seen.

Someone in Red Deer here bought mine, although I have never seen any fry from them being sold in this area?

Some day I'll have to get a pic of my current dom male lab, he's even nicer than my previous one. He's the one shown in my avatar, but that pic was taken when he was still a juvie.

Your labs are awesome!!!

do you keep any other fish with your labs... or is it a species tank?

Here is a pic james sent me of the rusty:

Lodotropheus%20Sperengae%20Rusty%202.jpg

i have seen them at big al's where i bought 2 of the little guys, which turned out nice... but not as nice as the guy above

both hung and i are getting some!

do you think there will be a problem with keeping those rusties with my saulosi's in a tank together? I'm going out soon to buy a 55 gallon tank for them. let me know what you think.

nev

RD is right, once rusties start breeding they are like rabbits. I sold mine(have 1 male left) because they were producing too many fry. Even if i let them spit in the main tank tons survived. BUt they are one of my favorite mbuna. Mine were very peaceful and the males showed a nice purple to them. You won't be disappointed if you get some.

As for the labs, i saw them at the auction and their color isn't orange like in the pics. They were more of a yellow(not a vibrant yellow but that might be because they were stressed). They were the best quality labs at the auction though. The bags of 1" juvies(that went for 45$ :boxed: ) didn't look so hot. One of them actaully had a sore on the side of its head :( So Nev, the yellows you got are actaully some of the nicest ones i've seen locally(from stores,auctions) but if you want to start breeding them i'd get some from Kyle, or wait untill mine start producing fry :lol:

I'd like that Val!

Whether i'm aloud to or not... i'm going out to buy a 55 gallon tank. I'm going to breed the saulosi's that i get from kyle and james... Hopefully i can make them available to anyone that has been looking for them locally. I know i have gone to a great extent to locate these F1 saulosi's from kyle and james.

as for the rusties... if they breed like rabbits... so be it. if it gets out of hand... then changes will have to be made!

as for the labs... I really like RD's... I think they are AWESOME!!!

One day i'm sure I will get into breeding them too, but like the cyan's... they can wait.

One day i would really like to breed polits... i think they are neat looking fish!

I have fallen for mbuna... still not a big fan about peacocks or haps... but that can change down the road too.

Thanks again RD, Val, and k9outfit.

I'll be posting pics as soon as i get the saulosi's... you'll probably see my face in the reflection from the tank grinning from ear to ear!

nev

The photo of the rustie appears to be enhanced, but their true colors are difficult to capture with a so-so camera. I don't think you'll have any problems in your 55 with those species, just make sure both males have ample females.

My lab tank was a species tank (16 labs), but at the moment I also have a juvie Alto. comp, a juvie N. leleupi, and 6 juvie M. cyanerhabdos that I got from Kyle. The juvies all are still very small, so things will get thinned out down the road. I bought the 2 Tangs as fry control, as there is no way I can keep up with all of the females in this tank. Also, for now, I'm focusing all of my attention on some tropheus, so the labs will have to wait their turn. :)

Its too bad the labs have to wait!!!

they are very nice!!!!!!

You should have a special with your food!!!! buy 2 buckets of food... get a batch of your yellow lab fry to grow up and eat it!!!!!! :thumbs: I'd be in! B)

i hope the NLS is waiting for me when i get home... it should be here soon. cannot wait to give it a try!

nevchewy