How many bubbles per second with C02?

Krystle

I just set up a pressurized c02 tank on my 120 gallon heavily planted tank. What should I be aiming for as far as bubbles per second in the bubble counter? Can someone explain how to figure out what is optimal for the plants for me? I know too much c02 is harmful for the fish...

There is so much that affects your Co2 level in you tank! Reading up and in the works of a 55G Planted tank myself. I'll share what I know / read.

Some people use the formula - liters x 13 / 100 = number of bubbles per minute

I'm assuming you want about 15-25 ppm? I guess to accurately figure it out you would need to figure out your PH an Kh levels and use a table. Like this ONE! http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/kh-ph-co2-chart.html - Here I am doing all your work for you! haha

It also depends how you plan to diffuse the Co2 into your tank - Link your diffuser - Also dependant factor of surface agitation.

I guess it's all a hit or miss story I hope this helps! Jvison would be the best to talk to about this sort of stuff. FYI<BR itxtvisited="1"><BR itxtvisited="1">

It depends on how fast you want the plants to grow and how much time you are willing to spend on pruning your plants. when my co2 was at optimal levels, and I was dosing estimative index for ferts, I had to prune at least once to twice a week. that took about 2 hrs a week, which includes a 50% water change. I now run absolutely no co2 but have a high fish load. My plants are still thriving. However, harder to keep species like HC and Glosso can't make it.

To answer your question, get a co2 indicator from ebay for $8. Read up on how to make the solution. I have it posted on here somewhere. Start with 2 bubbles per second and monitor. Slowly increase it over the next couple of days. As Morphine mentioned, it all depends on your environments factors.

I've gone anywhere from 3 for slow growth and low fert dosing, up to 7 to get everything rocking.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have the c02 line hooked up to a powerhead in the aquarium to diffuse the c02. It's in the middle of the tank, near the bottom. There is an XP3 on one side of the tank and an AC110 on the other side, as well as a large airstone. So, lots of surface agitation. I would ideally like to trim the plants once every week or so, and I do a 40% water change every week or two as it is.

So I can get this c02 indicator off of ebay, hey? I guess I better get one. I don't think I currently have a KH test kit, I just have the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals master test kit. I'll have to check.

If I go with 4-5 bubbles per second, how often do I need to add flourish? Will I need to start adding other fertilizers as well?

Thanks!

Get rid of the airstone and trade in the AC for an internal or canister; otherwise, you'll just waste CO2 - it escapes from water really quick w. surface aggitation.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have the c02 line hooked up to a powerhead in the aquarium to diffuse the c02. It's in the middle of the tank, near the bottom. There is an XP3 on one side of the tank and an AC110 on the other side, as well as a large airstone. So, lots of surface agitation. I would ideally like to trim the plants once every week or so, and I do a 40% water change every week or two as it is.

So I can get this c02 indicator off of ebay, hey? I guess I better get one. I don't think I currently have a KH test kit, I just have the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals master test kit. I'll have to check.

If I go with 4-5 bubbles per second, how often do I need to add flourish? Will I need to start adding other fertilizers as well?

Thanks!

Honestly I wouldnt bother testing the c02 constantly with that size of tank with 5 or so bubbles per second... waste of money / If anything I would measure your PH with the use of an electronic ph indicator that you can buy off of ebay for around 20bucks that will last a long time.. there is a chart that you can look up that is a simple calculation on the net somewhere / I just cant remember exactly where at the moment that is easy to use .... quite honestly I really think you have nothing to worry about as long as you stay within the 3 to 7 bubble range... you need to get rid of the ac and the airstone as they create to much agitation and displace your co2 quickly..

good luck

At the moment with the AC filter and airstone the