Plants in Tank

KilliFish

hi guys , im new^.^ (juss never used it before but have ben signed up)

umm i just bought a 55g and i wanted to plant it. n everything. but do i need any special filteration or anything?

(im not a newbie been keeping fish for 4yrs)

Edited by KilliFish

Hi and welcome to our forum. There are a lot of different methods to go with on a planted tank. I think it all depends on the type of plants you want and the look. Once you have that identified, we can work out the particulars of what exactly you need.

Since you are not new fish keeping, I would recommend that you do some basic research at the link below. It will give you a more general idea of the different requirements and how you will want to approach a planted tank. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need along the way.

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=12298&pid=2110557&st=0entry2110557

but if the micro sword is all on the bottom and everything how am i supposed to clean it?

Howdy neighbour ! :welcome:

I am not much of a vacc'r myself. I direct heavy filteration output @ the substrate. This 'kicks up the dust' a bit and sends it all toward the filter.

I am not sure if your account will accept PM's @ this point.

Save your bread for equipment - I can fill your tank with plants :smokey:

It depends on the type of substrate you have. If it is a gravel substrate, you could either vacuum around the plants or just leave it. If its a sand substrate then you would just vacuum on top. You mentioned that you are looking for a nice foreground so eventually the micro swords will spread runners and cover the entire substrate. I agree with Jewels in that you will then rely on good water movement from your filter output/powerhead (if used) to as she says, kick the dust.

Can you be specific and list what equipment you received with this new 55 gallon tank? We can help point you in the right direction.

I am fond of a good canister filter - rated at least 50% more than the size of tank you have. Even running 2 rated for your size tank isn't too much. I set the spraybar deeper into the tank to keep flow high, but surface aggitation low (surface aggitation will dissipate your CO2 faster). There are lots of good deals to be had on this forum and others (I like CanReef.com for other local deals).