How to take care of Jewel Fry?

alterego

After starting a thread in the wrong place earlier this week I thought I'd continue it here. I know the fry probably wont make it as it is this pairs first spawn, but all the eggs have hatched and there are quite a few wigglers bouncing around the nest that has now been moved twice. I believe it has been moved because my kids faces have bee pressed against the glass a fair bit. There seems to be quite a lot of differing opinions about what, when and how to feed the fry. I have already been told I should leave the fry in with the parents for the first few spawns, but at what point is it safe to remove them. I am completely new to this whole fry thing and after reading 15 or so various and contradicting fool proof fry raising techniques. I'm hoping that someone can set me straight.

Thanks from the newb,

Brendan

Edited by alterego

Hey,

Everyone will give you different advice about how to raise fry this way and that, best way would be to take into account everything you have read and see what works best for you.

I would have to agree, i've made the mistake of pressing my face up on the glass watching the little wrigglers only to find them in several different nests, and it is most likely because your scaring the parents somehow whether its Kids, Lights, other fish. The best bet is to put a timer on your lights so the fish get used to them turning on and off at the same time. Decrease movement around the tank and try to cut down the amount of time you glue your face to the glass although then might like nose smudges on the glass! Right now I have about 200 Cichlid fry swimming around my 55G still with the parents only because I don't wanna separate them and them actually grow up - What the heck am I going to do with 200+ fish haha.

Any questions you have feel free to throw them out there, I might not be the best person to answer as I am fairly new myself but someone has the knowledge up the ticker!

Good Luck!

seperate. don't seperate. alla same. :) What do you want to achieve is the question?

If they are free swimming I'd say you are quite fine to seperate them if you wish. Feed them baby brine shrimp. Enjoy watching them grow.

Seeing a set of cichlid parents raise fry is an amazing thing. In a community tank the survival rate is going to be low. Jewel cichlids can be ferocious though, and might be able to ward off most predators, but at night and if there are several darting type fish, they might slowly pick them off. It really is a matter of choice chance and behaviour.

I'd say at this point do what feels right for you.

Jewel cichlids was the first fish I spawned, at 14 (this was back before electricity! haha! just kidding. but it was a long time ago) and I loved watching their behaviour. But raising fry and watching them succesfully grow is also a trip.

If you take this batch away from them, they will still spawn in a couple weeks or so, so you can have the best of both worlds. A succesful spawn, and a spawn with the parents!

good luck!