What's happening to my Anubius plants

felixc

All the Anubius leaves in my tank are rotting, yellowing, and have numerous large/small holes through them. It seem like the newer growth will be lusterous for a few weeks and then slowly algae (not hair algae)would cover them. This has been happening for months. The worst areas are on the oldest and most shaded leaves. My lighting is 2x24W HO T5 on for 7hrs a day on a 25g tank. There is absolutely no algae problem in the tank, just on the leave of these plants. Am I running too much light and this is what's cause the plants to react this way?

Your light seems fine and Anubius doesn't need any special care like Co2. I think it might be lack of nutrients like iron, magnesium, etc. Try dosing it with Flourish Comprehensive Supplement from Seachem.

Flourish_250mL.jpg

Edited by AvianAquatics

I agree that the yellowing is caused by a lack of iron. Try moving the plant so that it gets partly shaded. Its getting too much direct light right now which is causing the algae growth. No matter what you try, that algae will not scrap off. I had the same problem and over shadowed it with a larger lotus plant. All the new leaves are looking good.

Holes in older leaves is also an indication of potassium dificiency. Shading will help, as it will be taking up less nutrients, thus needing less potassium. Otherwise, dosing some potassium wouldn't hurt, either. Check the label on your Flourish to see if it has any K, if so, problems solved!

I don't know why I didn't think of that. You guys hit it on the head, there has been no supplemental nutrients added in the last few months and the current lighting situation is probably too much and too long. I will reduce the photoperiod and resume nutrient additives. The shaded leaves covered in algae is still puzzling me. Why is this happen in these areas?

The shaded leaves covered in algae is still puzzling me. Why is this happen in these areas?

If the plant is limited in nutrients, it is probably focusing it's energy only on the leaves which are getting the light for photosynthesis. The "less healthy" shaded leaves are easier for the algae to take advantage of.