how many Shrimps per gallon?

Wackinator

I had originally planned on having a small 3 gallon moss planted tank with only red cherry shrimps to breed. I have 10 in a 7.5 gallon with 5 guppies but I gave away my guppies a couple days ago.

I woke up this morning with around 40 baby shrimplets minimum (yes I bothered to count lol)all over the 7.5 gallon.

I still want to go ahead with the planted shrimp tank but I am curious how much the 3 gallon will be able to hold? because I dont have the lighting to turn the 7.5 gallon into a planted I have read from 1-25 per gallon and both those numbers sound extreme, my opinion is that 15-20 sounds more reasonable as they dont add a lot to the bio load, the only thing Im worried about is them not having a lot of surface area to graze upon even though I plan on covering the tank with moss.

Any opinions are welcomed, and keep in mind that a lot of the baby shrimps will be removed either sold or traded to expand my fish addiction. Another option is to make the 7.5 gallon they are in a fry tank with them in it, and I can put live bearer fry in there, and remove them before they start eating the shrimps and turn the 3 gallon into a tank for a different shrimp? Maybe red crystal or some rare shrimp?

I have personally read 10-15 per gallon, but I'm sure there's room for interpretation there.

If you're planning on removing shrimp from the tank before they fully mature, I'd be willing to bet the tank could support the higher number because they'll be so small.

I just got into RCS and I'm quickly finding they're one of the more interesting critters to keep.

I breed cherry shrimp in a 10g and I have a couple hundred in there.

I dont' think you have to worry to much about space. Just put as many as you want or as many as you think looks nice in the tank. In a 3g i'd start with 20 or so. When they start breeding you'll have more then you could ask for. Then just remove the extras until you find the balance you want.

If you want a really shrimpy tank add more. If you want a sparse tank with just a few shrimp add less.

I have personally read 10-15 per gallon, but I'm sure there's room for interpretation there.

If you're planning on removing shrimp from the tank before they fully mature, I'd be willing to bet the tank could support the higher number because they'll be so small.

I just got into RCS and I'm quickly finding they're one of the more interesting critters to keep.

Thanks heff, yeah RCS are pretty sweet for something so small, and 10-15 per gallon sounds pretty reasonable, I dont know when I will be removing the shrimps, if selling I could remove earlier but if I run out of space I will set up a 10 gallon for them and get CRS as well.

Thanks!

I breed cherry shrimp in a 10g and I have a couple hundred in there.

I dont' think you have to worry to much about space. Just put as many as you want or as many as you think looks nice in the tank. In a 3g i'd start with 20 or so. When they start breeding you'll have more then you could ask for. Then just remove the extras until you find the balance you want.

If you want a really shrimpy tank add more. If you want a sparse tank with just a few shrimp add less.

Thanks Vallisneria, I sort of want an in between the really shrimpy and sparse, I think the max I would keep in that tank is 45, though in reality Ill probably start removing to other tanks if they go above 30.

Thanks again!

Why not pick up a light for the 7 gallon? Moss do not require that much light unless you want it to grow fast. The standard light should work okay.

Hey Kronosdelsol, I don't need just the lights, the 7.5 gallon doesn't have a hood and I don't know how to make one as I have never done any wood work in my life. Buying one is not an option as it would be expensive. I also sort of want a mini planted tank but I will consider if things dont go the way they are planned.

Thanks!

Another option that I have thought about, might actually get a chance to start something this weekend as that is when the camp I am volunteering at ends.

Still prefer to keep it a nano but thinking about the other tank as well right now. Still confused as to how many shrimps I can put per gallon though.

Thanks