Planting Anubias

heff

I'm curious to know where people plant their anubias. Do you guys attach them to driftwood, rocks, or just weigh them down on the top of the substrate? I've even heard of people actually putting them IN the substrate, contrary to what I've read.

I've got relatively low light (1.4wpg) and I'm considering an anubias nana or nana petite so I figured I'd see what everyone does with theirs...

i always put about half the rhizome into the substrate, making sure a good portion of it isn't buried. if the plant doesn't want to stay down that way while it roots i use a couple river stones to hold the roots down while it establishes itself. never had an anubias rot this way.

I've attached to rocks, wood, pots, etc. And, I've planted several species right in the substrate. The main trick is to not burry the rhizome. Anubias are root feeders, but once their rhizome is burried, they seem to whither away.

I attach them to driftwood using twist ties. If I bury it in the substrate then I attach a twist tie around the rhizome and then to a heavy object like a piece of plastic that will stay in the media. Or a fishing rod line sinker.

Edited by Kronosdelsol

• 4 weeks later...