Best Discus care sheet?

jesp

Yes jesp, as the biological base. The 2215 doesn't have a water by pass of any kind; all the water going through it must go throught the substrat, making it a more efficiant biological filtering device than the xp3. As well, the flow rate is slower, so the by-pass time through the substrat is slower than in any other canister, which causes a longer contact time for the bacteria to break down the ammonia and nitrite.

I would definatly stay away from gravel unless you are a gravel vaccuming maniac (good at it). Gravel traps too many organic compounds, which has to be removed often by way of a hydro vac. I personally do not like bare bottom tanks either; I don't like the look. Sand on the bottom is how I go and it has a very important benefit. Sand provides a great breeding ground for beneficial bacteria to consume organic waste, which I believe helps to prevent the build up of fungus and pathogenic bacteria. Sand bottoms are easy to clean, because most debris congregate into one or two tight little spots and it's easy to just siphone them off. Other than with wood eating plecos, i find no debris builds up to be siphoned off, but that also has to do with the fact that you'll never see uneaten food in the bottom of any of my tanks. If you go with a really thick sand bed, like 2-3 inches this will give you the added benefit of a natural denitrator. Just add a dozen cories, brochis or even 6-12 banjo cats to help keep the top inch and a half of the sand well oxygenated.

I would use the 2215 as the foundation of the biological filtration and the xp3 for some added biological filtration, mechanical filtration, and added water movement.

I agree go with sand not gravel... Sil 7 or 8 instead of play sand that traps gas / Its easy to vacum the debris off the top ... IMO looks more natural can

I would definatly stay away from gravel unless you are a gravel vaccuming maniac (good at it). Gravel traps too many organic compounds, which has to be removed often by way of a hydro vac. I personally do not like bare bottom tanks either; I don't like the look. Sand on the bottom is how I go and it has a very important benefit. Sand provides a great breeding ground for beneficial bacteria to consume organic waste, which I believe helps to prevent the build up of fungus and pathogenic bacteria. Sand bottoms are easy to clean, because most debris congregate into one or two tight little spots and it's easy to just siphone them off. Other than with wood eating plecos, i find no debris builds up to be siphoned off, but that also has to do with the fact that you'll never see uneaten food in the bottom of any of my tanks. If you go with a really thick sand bed, like 2-3 inches this will give you the added benefit of a natural denitrator. Just add a dozen cories, brochis or even 6-12 banjo cats to help keep the top inch and a half of the sand well oxygenated.

I would use the 2215 as the foundation of the biological filtration and the xp3 for some added biological filtration, mechanical filtration, and added water movement.

I agree go with sand not gravel... Sil 7 or 8 instead of play sand that traps gas / Its easy to vacum the debris off the top ... IMO looks more natural can

I use sil 7, never tried sil 8. I was also given a well drilling sand that is dustless and well water safe. It is coarser than sil 7, but it almost looks like tiny tiny beads of quartz. I haven't used it yet. Maybe I will on my new shrimp tank.