Planted Tank Lighting DIY

Jayba

I was sourcing some fixtures out at work today for a client, and it got me kind of thinking. Why don't I just get a high bay lamp for my 48'planted tank? Not quite as sexy as the ones that are twice the price from the fish store, but these are a finished fixture that could be hung easily enough.....what you guys think? Here's a link to the cheapness!!boxed.gif

http://www.prolighting.com/t5t8flhiba.html

When we don't want to pay the super-inflated prices at the LFS, most of us DIY guys use those lights. :D

one thing to note on shop type lighting is that the reflectors are build to spread light to another room, rather than direct it at the floor of a fish tank, so not only will you get some light polution (from light being reflected outside the tank) but you may not get as much direct lighting on the plants as a light unit made for an aquarium. If you do go the shop light (as i have on one of my tanks), you may want to consider replacing the reflectors to ones comparable to aquarium style light assembly, whcih should be fairly inexpensive

I use the Lithonia Lighting 4' Shop Light on a couple tanks with great success.

I get them at home depot for $36(LINK.)

I also get the T8 bulbs from Home depot too. They are 'Daylight' colour so they work really well with plants and waaaaay cheaper than the bulbs you get at the fish shops.

If you have a serious planted tank I would suggest you spend the extra $$ on a quality bulb, because it does make a big difference... My tanks only have anubias and val so I don't need fancy lighting for that :)