Green shrimp .... Black mutant

corrosionjerry

I've been seeing zebras in my Green Shrimp for several months. I've also heard that the blue shrimp are the same sp. as cherries.

Cherry shrimp are Neocaridina heteropoda var. red.

Crystal shrimp are Caridina cf Cantonensis var Crystal Red (Crystal Black).

Green shrimp are supposedly Caridina babaulti var. green.

Blue Tiger shrimp are Caridina sp Tiger.

I've had Neocaridina heteropoda var. blue. From my wild colored Neocaridina heteropoda, I was getting yellow, blue, brown, striped, and red. Neocaridina only breed with other Neocaridina. Caridina babaulti only have been known to breed with other C babaulti, but there is speculation they can crossbreed with other Caridina. Also there may be several species that are called 'Green Shrimp' as well as several that are sold as Caridina cf babaulti. C. cf babaulti come in a number of variations, including green, stripes, Malaya, so a number of different colors are apt to show up. Clear as mud? :unsure:

Anyways, isn't it neat when something different shows up. I loved to see what colors would appear.

Edited by gobies et al

I've had Neocaridina heteropoda var. blue. From my wild colored Neocaridina heteropoda, I was getting yellow, blue, brown, striped, and red. Neocaridina only breed with other Neocaridina. Caridina babaulti only have been known to breed with other C babaulti, but there is speculation they can crossbreed with other Caridina. Also there may be several species that are called 'Green Shrimp' as well as several that are sold as Caridina cf babaulti. C. cf babaulti come in a number of variations, including green, stripes, Malaya, so a number of different colors are apt to show up. Clear as mud? :unsure:

Anyways, isn't it neat when something different shows up. I loved to see what colors would appear.

Thank You for setting the record strait.... you seem to know your shrimp...

I read at least a couple of links that say differently, they state that blues and others are from cherries...

Thank You for setting the record strait.... you seem to know your shrimp...

I read at least a couple of links that say differently, they state that blues and others are from cherries...

I think it gets confusing when you just use the common name instead of the scientific. As I said, the blues that they are referring to have to be Neocaridina heteropoda var. blue. Neocaridina heteropoda var. red is what we call Cherries. If a Cherry breeds with any other color of N. heteropoda the next generation will be wild color, brownish with stripes, the following generation will start to produce a variety of colors occasionally seen in the wild population including blues and yellows.