Transporting a pleco question!

jesp

I am picking up a 1' Hypostomus, Liposarcus spp., (common pleco) and was wondering everyones professional opinions on the transport methods.

Harold, (fairdeal), informed me that moving a 33 gallon long with water could crack or the bottom could give out. This is my plan.

What I feel we can do is place the pleco in a 10 gallon rectangular plastic bin filled half way with the original tank water. We would put the lid on and a towel over to reduce stress. We then drain the water and load the tank, stand etc in the vehicle. The fish will only be going less than 30 minutes in a car. Upon arrival at my home, we get the pleco inside and place an airstone and heater in with the fish to reduce unavoidable stress of transport while everything else is being done. The tank is then set up and filled half way with treated water. The fish has its water mixed slowly with the new water over a 20 minute period until the 10 gallon bin is full. The water and pleco are then introduced back into the tank and everything is turned on.

Will this harm the fish? Anyone done anything similar?

Thank you so much for your ideas!

I would properly double bag and box the fish to prevent spillage and to keep the oxygen presurized and the temperature stable. Hearld should have both the bags and box. Bagging this fish this size in this way will hold it without harm and little stress for a good 48 hours. Get it all home, set up the tank and fill (declorinate only) to the desired temperature then float the bagged fish for 5 minutes max. Then take the bag out of the water and open it and scoop the fish and release it in the tank. Do not add tank water to the bag or the bag water to the tank. The safest way to remove a pleco this size from a bag or any container is with you bare hands. Grabbing it firmly but gently behind the eyes with one hand and holding the tail with the other hand, gently release it into the tank.

So evolution, you think that double bagging is the way to go? Even if it will only be 30 minutes out of the tank? Would it not be ok with this method in the bin for that time?

And no, I am not getting this fish from Harold. I should also add that the fish is staying in the original tank so the tank water is no problem. It is both a pleco and 30 (or 33?) long that I am moving.

Edited by jesp

It would be ok, jesp. Sorry for assuming you were getting it from Harold! It would be difficult to float the tub (lol), so I suggest you fill the tank to the temperature of the tub. You should have the 33 up and running in about 30 minutes with the same temp as the tub. Scoop the pleco with your hands and add him to the tank. If it will make you comfortable, add the air stone, but I suggest not to add the heater. That genus of pleco can live in very very low oxygenated water and they have the ability to take up oxygen from the surface of the water. As well they can survive periods in water temperatures in the low 60s.

so the tank water is no problem.

The old water is not important and should be discarded. What is important is the bacteria in the gravel and the filter; they need to be preserved. The old water that the fish is being trasported in will have ammonia and urea in it and be depleted of oxygen. Fresh tap water will be devoid of the toxins and rich in oxygen which will benefit the pleco, but also greatly boost the oxygen starve good bacteria.

I know it is often said, such as JLake recommends, to save the old water, but I can assure you that the old water is useless in terms of relocating an established tank. I just set up an established 54g for a guy last night. I took no water with me, just the sand, filters and tank. He wanted to transfer all his 30g of old tank water into the new one and I told him noooo. So we did it my way. Today I got an email telling me that he has never seen his fish so happy and healthy looking and for the first time his tank looks as clean and as healthy as one of mine. smile.gif

Edited by Evolution

agreed, the old water is not needed. as long as the water source at the new location is the same as the old location (as in, same city) then you're good to go, just ensure that the temperature matches.

i've moved tanks around my apartment, moved tanks between apartments, and helped friends move their tanks and never has the old water been saved. i think out of all this moving only one apple snail didn't make it (and he was an old fogy anyway).

Well, it turns out that the owner of the pleco insists that the pleco be moved in the tank with some water in it as he believes that a pleco is better off in tank rather than a bin.

I would like to pick this fish up, but should I try or is the danger too high that things will go wrong?

Well, it turns out that the owner of the pleco insists that the pleco be moved in the tank with some water in it as he believes that a pleco is better off in tank rather than a bin.

I would like to pick this fish up, but should I try or is the danger too high that things will go wrong?

I have moved lots of fish and pleco's in a plastic tupperware bin from walmart, they work great. Moving a glass tank around with water is just not a good idea, all that sloshing around...plus it add stress to the seals. Trust me, a bin is the way to go, cause knowing drivers....lol I was moving a 120g tank once, and some guy cut me off and I had to slam on my brakes, if I didn't have the fish in the bin with a lid, those fish wouldn't have survived.

I just moved a 55G tank from one side of town to the other. In it was 15 cichlids, 2 sharks, a pleco and a couple crayfish. I left six inches of water in the tank and tossed it in the back of the pickup. Every time I slowed down or sped up the water would go from one end of the tank to the other leaving a few fish out of water for as long as it took to get stopped or speed up. In hind sight, a bin with a lid would have been much smarter. On a brighter note, that was yesterday, at present time there are no casualties, including the pleco.

Great news. In the light of the moon last night we successfully moved the pleco. It's one heck of a pleco too. Very nice animal. The owner also tossed in 3 red tailed sharks which was very kind of him.

We ended up emptying the tank down to just 10 gallons or so, then placing it on a large plank and carrying it to the truck and taking it slow home.

I am happy to report that the pleco and sharks are all doing very well.

Thanks for all your input. I really appreciate the members of this forum and their willingness to help.

• 3 weeks later...

Great news. In the light of the moon last night we successfully moved the pleco. It's one heck of a pleco too. Very nice animal. The owner also tossed in 3 red tailed sharks which was very kind of him.

We ended up emptying the tank down to just 10 gallons or so, then placing it on a large plank and carrying it to the truck and taking it slow home.

I am happy to report that the pleco and sharks are all doing very well.

Thanks for all your input. I really appreciate the members of this forum and their willingness to help.

Thanks from the "previous owner" for giving my Pleco (and bala sharks) a fine new home!

Good Luck and enjoy their company.