my newest addition

knifefishfan

gars shouldnt get lazy, atleast none that ive kept and i fed all mine pretty heavy. What are you feeding them? whats the temp like and does it have alot of room to swim? I found a plant or two and driftwood with a large open area at the top worked best and they would generally stay up top hovering by a plant. I miss keeping gars

i feed him 1-2 large silversides a day and on the weekends my tank gets feeders(quarantined). he taked down 3 of those guys. he either lays on the bottom of the tank or he perches on the driftwood and does a balancing act hehe. he moves around but lately hes not interested as much when i try to hand feed him. have had him a month and hes grown almost 2 inches. his is fatter than when i first got him too.

Edited by knifefishfan

well i have had a bunch of the florida's spotteds short bodied ect when they were readily available from calgary but the market has seemed to dry up with them and are very rare now lol. I would get him off the feeders (i just dont trust them) and start feeding small chunks of beefheart or if you can con him into the large carnivore pellets from tetra (about 1" by 1/4") Ive always had good luck with those. Also do you have current up top? I know they like a little horizontal current to paddle in. Other than that you may just have a lazy gar lol but Ive only had them sit for long periods when my water was off or the tank was too bright/no where they would feel comfortable?

the lighting is not very bright as i have an arowana and CK in there with him. i currently run 2 AC500 and 2 medium sponge filters. i have extra powerheads also. occasionally he will take food from my hand...just gotta be patient i guess. i do see him swimming under the AC500...maybe they do like current....

ive checked my water params weekly for this tank since i added the "bigger" fishes. ill try attaching a fake plant on the power head and see if thatll work.

thanks...

btw gratz on those monster 180 gallon tanks you lucky bum...