Protein Sheen

I'm cycling my 35g with live rock,argonite and a protein skimmer and after 2 weeks I'm noticing a film on top of the water. The research I've done has led me to suspect that its a protein sheen that has evaded the water column of the protein skimmer. My LFS said to use a fine mesh net or some paper towel to soak it up....this works temporarily but I don't want to have to do this constantly. A few different sites aid to point my powerheads at the surface to agitate it...all that does is swish it around but its still quite evident. Another site said to get a surface skimmer but it seems pretty large and ugly in a small 35g tank.

Has anyone out there discovered a foolproof way of getting rid of this??? I've looked up DIY surface skimmers but haven't found one that is small and effective. Please help!

are you putting your hand into the tank at all? Lots of that sheen/oil comes from your arms/hands...but pointing a powerhead straight up at the surface does work.

Oh ya, you can also use a surface skimmer attachment to a canister/hob filter if you have that option.

Edited by Wingin' It

• 1 month later...

I'm cycling my 35g with live rock,argonite and a protein skimmer and after 2 weeks I'm noticing a film on top of the water. The research I've done has led me to suspect that its a protein sheen that has evaded the water column of the protein skimmer. My LFS said to use a fine mesh net or some paper towel to soak it up....this works temporarily but I don't want to have to do this constantly. A few different sites aid to point my powerheads at the surface to agitate it...all that does is swish it around but its still quite evident. Another site said to get a surface skimmer but it seems pretty large and ugly in a small 35g tank.

Has anyone out there discovered a foolproof way of getting rid of this??? I've looked up DIY surface skimmers but haven't found one that is small and effective. Please help!

A wet vacuum works great for getting rid of any oily surface sheen such as the one that you get from feeding mysis shrimp or any oily fish, once every couple of days for a week or so should do it and in fresh water tanks you can use it to rid yourself of duck weed in a few minutes.

• 1 year later...

ahhh, was just having this issue in my freshwater tank... guess the mysis shrimp could be the culprit.

• 6 months later...

Whenever I've had this issue it's food related. Surface agitation makes a huge difference.