Filter and Filter Media Question

DragonNeko

I currently have an AquaClear 150/30 for my 20gal. High, but I would like to upgrade it. I read that the AquaClear 200/50 would the one to choose, and that I could transfer my 150/30 model to my 10gal. Would that be okay? Also, I heard that you don't need to use carbon. I was wondering if I could remove the carbon from my filter, and replace it with another foam filter or another biomax filter. What would be best? Also, would upgrading the filter allow me to add a few more fish to my tanks? I'd love to get another 1-2 Julii Cory's, and 3 more neons, but I'm not sure if I can do that. I don't even know how well my stock is...if I'm overstocked or understocked or just right? Please help me! This is so frustrating :(

what i do in my Aquaclear 110 is cut the big sponge block into about 8 cube shaped pieces. makes rinsing the sponge one heck of a lot easier when doing filter cleaning (rinse in old tank water only!), and if a new tank or a fishy friend needs some good ol' goopy bacteria laden media then it is easy as pie to take out one or two pieces of the sponge.

My ACs get a sponge over the intake and the entire chamber filled with pop scrubbies. IME, I can rinse the sponge in tap water at every WC and I don't have to worry about losing biological filtration b/c of the huge bioload that can live in the scrubbies.

is there any proof that a plastic dollar store scrubby has more surface area than a sponge? I question the effectiveness of scrubbers over sponges. I've seen them used numerous times but can't help but think that a sponge in the same place would be better. Same for the bioballs. They have nothing for surface area compared to a scrubber. Possibly bacteria can attach more readily to plastic? I would like to know more about this.