New rainbow

Raven

Im a bit worried about him, all ive seen him do is hang out by the heater. In fact it looks like his resting on the sucker cup all by himself. Could something be wrong? I have a breeding trap, i could take the V thing out and isolate it in that if its getting beat up, but its fins arent ripped at all. Maybe its just cause the lights are off and hes sleeping right now. :s

not to worry i've had a few albino's and still have one now, It does the same thing and so did the others. I've raise 3 out of the four breeds of this species and find the albino to be the most docile,red tails to be the most aggresive,rainbows to be about in the middle. I would recommend the you get one more as 1 or 3 to be your best bet to prevent fighting. I also found leaving you light on all the time helps to keep them from beating each other but might not be the best thing for your tank depending on what fish you have in there.

hope this helps

Justin

Edited by kellehar

What kind of rainbow are we talking about? Rainbowfish? Rainbow shark?

How long ago did you buy him? Where did you buy him? Does he show any symptoms besides resting on the heater? who else is in the tank with him?

It could be taht he is just new. IT could be that another fish is scaring him and that is the ony place he can hide.It could be that he was sick when you bought him. IT could be a lot of things, you need to provide more info.

ok. I bought him ( The Albino Rainbow Shark) yesturday from petmart, all the fish listed in the signature are in the 50 with him. I havent seen him much, hes either hiding of on the heater. I'll post more tommorow, ive some free time to find out what happens in the tank. Plus the lights will be on, maybe hell act differently.

Edited by Raven

ok. I bought him ( The Albino Rainbow Shark) yesturday from petmart, all the fish listed in the signature are in the 50 with him.

buying a fish and not putting it in quarantine is going to cost you dearly one day, maybe this time. Hopefully the fish is just stressed a bit but remember , stress brings out disease in fish. You could be introducing something to your entire tank. I simply mention it as a word of caution as I learned the hard way and so have many others.

Rick

Hopefully the fish is just stressed a bit but remember , stress brings out disease in fish. You could be introducing something to your entire tank. I simply mention it as a word of caution as I learned the hard way and so have many others.

I definately second this. I wouldn't add fish dirrectly to my tank, especailly if its coming from a petstore. When i first started i had many tnaks die as a result of fish being introduced without QTing. Just be careful next time.

Yah I know, Ive had a that happen once already in one of my older tanks. But right now i dont have a spare tank. I had to sell them all during one of my moves. I just finished a water change, i find that its the best way to tell how health a new fish is. And he seems to be doing just fine, he even seems a bit happier. I think he was just intimidated by the acies, some of the are over double his size. I have to do some leaf clean up yet, and in the mean time im oing to build him is own little hide out. It should make things easier for him.

All Finshed, He was swimming around a bit then it was feeding time and the acies became the bosses. He was picked on a bit and so hasnt had a chance to check out the hide out. Hell be safe in there once hes in there, the others cant get to him, thyve already tried to force it, but it didnt work. For now he hangs out by the spray bar.

Edited by Raven