Nitrates are through the roof

JohnnyReeftank

Hey there.....I'm currently cycling my tank and my ammonia and nitrites finally went to 0ppm but my nitrates are still insanely high. They were off the charts (>50ppm) so I did a major water change today (about 60%) and then I tested again. MY nitrates are still up around 60-80ppm and I'm wondering what is up. Most of the literature I read on cycling said that after ammonia and nitrites are at zero then after a large PWC my tank should be ready to stock. How should I reduce these nitrates so I can get this show on the road?

Cheers

water change.

Lets say that your nitrates were double what you test goes to as a max. A 50 % water change would only bring it to the max showing you effectively no change if by going by test only. Another 50 % water change would get you 25% of the test scale. etc etc. It's all relative.

If you don't have fish in there right now why not do as large of a water change as you can. the more water you replace and the less left in the tank the more diluted the nitrates will become until the numbers are back in line. Good job cycleing the tank though.

Good luck