Planted 10 gallon.

Oneiroid

Following are a couple links to images of my 10 gallon tank. This was supposed to be a holding tank for new plants and fish intended to be transferred to other tanks... but it has actually turned into a very stable system!

http://www.unusualbehavior.com/other/sm_10g_01.jpg

http://www.unusualbehavior.com/other/sm_10g_02.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Sarah

Wow... you'll hafta share your secret to keeping the Madagascar's so well!

Is that long crinkly plant Crinum calamistratum?? It's amazing!!

Good job! :thumbs:

The lace just seems to do what it wants to. I have made no new provisions in the tank for it and now it is taking over (you may still be able to see some the fire-sword under the lace leaves planted near the centre of the tank in the photos)! I think because of the lace's arbitrary survival rate (hence Tropica's prolific 90% failure rate with these beasties), the best one can do is “make it comfortable”. So basically, it was put in the tank when it was completely shaken down and stabilized, the roots were planted (not the tuber), and the plant was given *some* space to grow into.

This tank has turned into its own little eco-system: no external filtration, no soft water, no substrate (aside from ye ‘ol gravel), and no CO2 infusion. I have added only a sponge filter, 2 x 15 watt daylight coiled fluorescent bulbs in the hood (that is equal to about 120 watts of incandescent light… a whopping 12 watts per gallon), a couple of Seachem Flourish Tabs, and fish. And to be honest, I cannot remember the last time I cyphened any water in and out of it!

I have heard many stories about people giving their lace special treatments like throwing the tubers into a cold room when they go dormant for a few months. I think this is absurd; in Madagascar, where this plant grows naturally, the only reason that a lace tuber will go dormant (that I know of) is if it is monsoon season and the water is too silted up to for the plant to receive sufficient light (add more light to your tank!). I do agree, however, that moving the plant around a lot is not advisable and that frequent water changes could help too (although I’ve never really ritualized water changes as mentioned above, it would be consistent with its natural stream habitat).

Thanks for the comments! If I have any ‘ah-ha!’s regarding the care of the Madagascar lace, I’ll certainly post it.

Oh, and yes that is one tall Crinum calamistratum on the right-hand side. Funny thing though, despite the long mature leaves on it, the bulb is almost non-existent.

Fish in 10 gallon tank:

2 x apistogramma agassizi f.

8 x pencil fish

2 x schubertes barbs

5 x otocinclus

3 x amano shrimp

Cheers!