beta question for a friend

robin

are there any circumstances when beta fish are grown up as fry together, that they can stay together in a huge tank? I have a friend that wonders if this is possible if done right? I told her NO!.......but I have so much to learn in the fish world....you never know.

Any possibily of having a school of beta?

Assuming not, then what size/age are the fry when they should be seperated?

If the Betta fry grow up together they may co-exist for awhile, they may for the rest of their lives get along...but i'm sure eventually someone would get the beats ;) I had two males in my 6 foot tank and one mysteriously disappeared...I can however keep many, many females togther and they don't really mind the male.

Currently I am growing out over 50 bettas in 2 tanks. To maximise size, I am leaving them together as long as possible. They are plakats so they don't get fin damage as easy. Have found they like to hide in floating plants and are similiar to some other aggressive fish. If there's a large group, they can't remember who they're fighting with???

I have 2 tanks with groups of about 6 betta that grew up together as fry and have had no issues yet... they are all about 10 months old now and getting bigger so there is still the potential for some scuffles etc. The tanks have plenty of places to hide and there is maybe 1 male in each group so I dont foresee any problems.

i personally would never house multiple males or males with females (unless in the midst of breeding). the chance for things to go wrong is just too high. and if your friend is new to fish / betta keeping then i would highly advise against trying what any of the above posters have done (they have some experience at this and know what they can get away with in their tanks).

your friend could do a sorority of female bettas in a minimum tank size of 20 gallons. 4 to 6 girls should work.

I agree with BFM... if you are planning on putting a group together then go with a sorority and monitor them for fin damage and other problems that could indicate fighting and stress. Fights will probably be inevitable, its just a matter of how long you are willing to let them stay together if there are signs.