Sword Plants in Pots

Blue Ram

I have a large beautiful swordplant I bought at the CAS auction. I believe it is a red flame echindorus (Werner help me out here!). I put it in a terra cotta pot filled with substrate because the tank is being redone shortly. The plant is doing great and has new leaves coming all the time with good colour. The mature leaves are 12" high. Would it limit the size it will get if left in a pot or should I plant it in the substrate?

You could do either. If you want to keep it in a pot, make sure it doesn't get rootbound and use roottabs too. I do keep my swords in substrate as they're in my heavily planted tanks but they get sold when they get too big. My potted plants are crypts but that's because they're in my lower light grow out tanks.So it's your choice :smokey:

Is it one that I sold (#49)? I brought some 'Rose' swords and some 'Red Diamond' swords.

The 'Rose' swords can get monstrous and take over the tank- I had one once that was over 3' tall when I got rid of it. If you want to keep it at a reasonable size, growing it in the pot might be a good idea.

I have switched to the "Red Diamond" variety because they're a more "moderately" sized sword... plus the new leaves are a gorgeous purple. Could be either in or out of a pot, as you wish.