looking for pleco advice, larger fancy breed?

hustler

I have always kept plecos in all my tanks since i was a kid. They have always been common (sometimes sailfins or that big blue eyed bugger i had for almost 8 years) and grew to 10-14" and did there job of cleaning..... I never really got into the fancy plecos as most of my fish would eat anything smaller than 4" but now that i have an all black tank I cant even see them so now Im thinking its time I get into them lol. I am looking for a breed thats fairly durable that gets at least 6-8" and colorful in one way or another..... Ive tried the bristlenose.... but it dissapeared and Ive had an albino but it seemed weak didnt eat and passed on. I feed alge wafers and sometimes veggies on the clip so i dont know.... What do you guys suggest I start looking for? It would be living with rays and arowana..... Any advice is good advice :) as i am Lost on this topic and have zero research other than what the kids at the pet store recomend...... and a 2" zebra would be a snack in 20 seconds......

IMO, it is next to impossible to breed fancy pleco such as L25 or L273. To my knowledge, there is 1 hobbyst in Planetcatfish bred L25 and another one from Taiwan had some success. Tank bred L273 and L14 is unheard of.

Adult pleco such as L25 or L273 is very hard to obtain. Smaller size still cost an arm and leg and will take years to mature...... I am still kicking myself of selling my adult L25 breeding pair 4 years ago.

i would love a L25 if someone knows where i can get one let me know they are hard to come by but for your question i find mango plecos(l47) quite nice

I believe L25 is on the ban list but surprisingly, I found some babies were up for sale earlier this year. They were sold out instantly. I was lucky enough to obtain a few and paid an arm for them. I think they may not be in the market again til next spring/summer. You Calgarian are lucky to have Gold Aquarium. Dennis should be able to get a hold of these beauties when they are on the price list.

I was actually told by one of my suppliers that he has now has access to some of the rarer hard to get a hold of plecos and am waiting for a reply to my wish list. Yes they are not going to be cheap but I have asked for L025, L046, L273, L174, L098, L014 and at least 20 others. I gave him a long list hoping to get a few at least.