how to get rid of fish

johnsmith

If you ask my Wife to be... she'll tell you that they are living creatures and they deserve a chance.

I have been hounding her as 2 out of the 5 socofoli's that i got when they were about an inch and a half are below sub par. One of them is deformed to the point where his spine must be an 'S'. He's still kicking it though, even though he gets pick one quite a bit. The second as well has a defect in his tail fin. nothing big but he's not a looker.

I'm kinda interested to hear what everyone else has to say!

If they were sub par to your standards... they may be nice fish to another... maybe instead of offing them... try giving them away.

just a thought!

nev

When i buy groups of juvies i usualy weed out any aggressive or extra males as they get older. I sell any extras off, either to a hobbiest or to a store. If any of the fish show deformaties i wouldn't sell them, i'd either cull them or keep them and not allow them to breed.

I"ve never had to deal with sub par coloring being a reason I got rid of fish. But as long as there isn't anything wrong with them i would probbaly sell them off. I"d just make sure the person knew what they were buying and that they probably wont' grow up to have "show" coloring. I dont' think i'd kill a fish just because he doens't have perfect coloring, but i definately wouldnt' breed them.

:lol: Maybe I should clarify. By "get rid of" I didn't mean flushing them down the toilet or anything like that. I'd only kill a fish by feeding it to another fish, turtle, etc. I wouldn't judge you if you did though B)

I mean do you feel right selling or even giving them away? If you do kill fish b/c they don't look nice enough, please, fell free to share that as well.

If there was nothing wrong with the fish... if its just not up to your standards, then i'd sell it or give it away.

culling, IMO, should only be done if needed (like phyical defects). But we have kept our S shaped socofoli for for over 3 months now. I am not a loud to cull it.

I agree with degrassi too though... it shouldn't be used in your breeding groups, if you are looking for you best results.

no judgment passed to anyone!

nev

Edited by nevchewy

Question, though... How do you know that the anemic looking specimen in your tank won't turn out to be a show stopper in someone else's? Or that the colouring - or lack of - is indeed due to poor breeding? I don't have the facilities to take a drab, submisive fish which is not colouring up properly, and put him in a different tank where he could become dominant. That would be the only way to really determine whether a fish is not acceptable quality, isn't it? Just wondering.... :well:

• 1 month later...

Trade them in at lps for something else. Your dominant male will not allow your sub domaninant males to colour up. But I would keep at least one to keep the colour always strong in the dominant male and give him something to fight (chase), and sparing the females a bit. That and if anything happens to the coloured male you have a replacement. That and most stores will trade males for females as it is easier to sell males.

Hope this helps, good luck

:D

If they are subpar I would jsut keep them

But riverfront seems to take almost anything, I just gave them all my agresion victims(extra males and the odd outnumbered female) because I'm in the process of restocking the tank against agresion, they took seven less then top fish for 20 dollars, I bought them there at sixteen a piece

Edited by vantgE