Stocking a 29gallon

425nm

Hey guys!

I'm pretty new to AA, haven't actually posted before just lurked and looked at pictures. So I recently purchased a co-workers 29 gallon tank (measuring: 30inches (76.4cm) wide X 12 and 1/2 inches (31.7cm) deep X 18 and 1/2 inches (47cm) tall), it has a 70 gallon aquaclear filter on it and it is currently on day 3 of cycling fish-less (Oh and its Freshwater). It also has play sand as substrate which I am lead to believe is no good for live plants as it can lead to methane bubbles. Anyhow I'm actually having some difficulty deciding on what to put in it (little overwhelm by the variety) once its done cycling. I figured you guys might have some cool ideas for what to keep in it. I'm more inclined towards something more aggressive since my two other tanks are peaceful community tanks. Something bright would be preferred. I'm pretty good for water changes though I am a University student with a full course load so anything that requires a lot of attention probably isn't a great idea. So if anybody has any ideas they'd be greatly appreciated : )

I do apologize if this is the wrong place to post this.

Welcome to the forum.

Trick with sand is to keep it aerated and the best way to do that is to get yourself some Malaysian Trumpet snails. They burrow through the substrate and keep the pockets of gas from getting built up. Normal sand is fine to grow plants in but I can honestly say that I have never used normal sand in my tanks but have read many accounts of successful plant growth.

Good luck with your tank!

I actually have a male and female German blue ram in my 25 gallon. They're awesome, one of my favorites, quite curious fish. I like green terrors however a 29 is to small for one.

Thanks for the heads up on the snails, quite an elegant solution there : ) I actually work at Pjs in west ed(though not in Fish, reptiles actually) and I don't think I've ever seen trumpet snails there, any idea where I might be able to get some? (Its not against the TOS to mention Pet stores by name is it? I can't remember).

You're OK on mentioning where you work - just avoid giving reveiws directly in posts (see the Vendor Review link for that). If you need MTS, we have tonnes in our shop at the Waterpark - just let me know when you'd want some. If you want to get yourself a small canister in addition to your AC70, you could go with about 6 juvie Africans - I'd suggest Electric Yellows and Melanochromis cyanoerhabdos as they stay relatively small and are 'peaceful' as Africans are concerned.