180 BRACKISH tank... stocking opinions?

phoenixn7g

Need opinions on my stock list. Now that I know I am getting a 180, my options are increased!

1- Dragon "Violet" Goby, courtesy of Gobies et al on here, thank you so much!

2- Archer fish

6- Bumble bee gobies

These fish are a FOR SURE**

Possibilities:

6 Mono Argentus

or

2 tiger datniods ( never had dats before, I know they are extremely agressive)

maybe some flagfish... a nice school of 6-12?

also looking into some silver needlenose gar... 3 of em if I can get a hold of em. I am aware they get 16 " and will eat anything they can get a hold of. Hence the archers should be mean enough to fight back, especially if I get baby gar.

I am aware I can't have the gar and the monos or the gar and the flags.

I'm only going to be putting the salinity up to about 1.006, and it will be a very slow acclimation ( over a few months)

Was also looking for orange chromides... but I can't find any!

Hi, I was so happy to read you were getting my 'special' fish.

Other creatures that I kept successfully with him were Redigobius balteatus (Clown Goby purchased at Big Als in Edmonton), Telmatherina ladigesi (Celebese rainbowfish occupies the top regions, the males get very pretty), Parambassis ranga (Indian Glassfish) and he really enjoyed the attentions of Ghost shrimp (Palaemonetes sp.). Amano Shrimp also did well in that tank.

I also looked for Orange Chromides and only found them once, a Petland store in Saskatoon. At that time we were already looking to move, so I didn't pick them up.

Here is an informative site by Neal Monks:

http://homepage.mac.com/nmonks/Projects/brackishfaq.html

There is an add on kijiji right now selling brackish water fish check it out maybe some of them interest you. This is what was available

1 Green Scat $40

1 Dragon Goby $30

2 Knight Goby $15 each

1 BumbleBee Goby $10

cheers

Bleh. I'm getting impatient waiting for this tank. I just want to fill it, get the filter working and throw some old media/stability in there.

I picked up my XP4 yesterday and it's in immaculate shape... and for the price I paid, WOW.

Got to also check out the guy's discus and his cool arrowana. *jealousy*

Anyone know where I can find some archers or dragon gobies in calgary without breaking the bank?

I found some at pisces, but at 30 bucks a pop, NO WAY!

Di find some purple spot gobies there for rediculously cheap though.

as for dragons, Ive been told not to pick anything up from francos, anyone ever had issues with francos stock?

I may have to venture off to petsmart *shudder* at least I have a QT tank.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

Where I live in the U.K (Essex) Orange Chromides are easy to get hold of.

I'm just starting my 2nd Brackish tank which alreay has Wasp fish (Vespicula Depressifons) in, a very cute fish that grows to about 2.5 inches in aquaria, it has a sting. I will also be getting Mudskippers/Gobies/barchirus harmandi (looking into them to see if brackish, some say they are & some say not). You also may consider Fig 8 or Spotted Puffers- Gruniens (Stone fish-have very big mouths & WILL eat anything it can get into its mouth-beleive me. I know!)- Tile Eel-Anableps-Bumblebee Gobie.

I had Scats but 1 of them bullied other fish including the other Scats so I sold it to a shop! They seem to be the bullies of the Brackish world!

There are a few Dats on the markets, all very slow growers but some can get to 9 inches. I love mine!