120 Gallon Brackish Build-Setup

phoenixn7g

Long story short. 180 isn't a true 180. It`s more like a 122.

Whatever, not a big issue,however there are a few possible things wrong with it. Trim`s broken, so I am going to go get a metal brace made for both the bottom and top of the tank so it doesn`t bow. As well, the silicone looks funny to me. After a good clean, I`ll be able to reassess it, but it looks as if someone threw some extra silicone on top, leading me to think it may have leaked at one point... dear god, I am hoping not.

Anyways, until the bracing is done, I wont be filling it. When I do fill it, it will be in little 10-20 gallon increments, so that if there is a leak, I can fix it easily.

I was originally going to drop the water level for the archers, but only be a 20 inch high tank, I`m not even going to bother.

Salinity will start at nothing unfortunately because everything is in fresh right now, but will be acclimatized to 1.005-1.007. Tops will be 1.009.

The fake mangrove will look awesome in the tank though, as well as the mopani wood because it will be sticking out of the tank...

I`m still looking at sand or possibly even some pool filter sand ( if I can find it).

Filtration will be an XP4, fully stocked with foam and bio balls etc.

For heat, I will be going with my current 150 watt heater and another 200-300 watt heater, just because this tank is 6 ft long.

Hmmm.... not much else to say.

Stocking List looks like this:

1-12 inch dragon goby- named Zing. He`s a clever little bugger and will need a tank cover for him,he is an extremely little social guy.

Possibly looking into another dragon goby as well, we shall see.

2- Archer Fish (Toxotes Julatrix)- 3 inches each- aptly named Dexter and Brian after a favorite TV show of mine XD

6 Bumble Bee Gobies- Named Gir, Zim, Dib, Gaz,Pig and Waffles

As well, I am looking into a rainbow Krib or 2 ( unfortunately only males, store only has males) as well as up to 4 more archers, and possibly some flagfish.

With all of these fish, I will be adequately stocked, and I wouldnt even mind adding some more in there considering my filter capacity is at least for a tank twice as big.

No overstocking here though!

If you have any questions whatsoever, feel free to post in this thread I will try and accurately answer each question as best possible.

Be very careful with a steel brace at the bottom..... Even a pebble or uneven area between the glass and steel could possibly pop it, theres alot of weight there just looking for the weakest spot. To be honest I dont think the bottom trim has anything to do with support its more to hide the silicone.

I would personally scrap the metal brace...just get a couple of 10 or 12 mil glass lengths, and silicone one every third of the tank on the top. I can assure you the trim has nothing to do with keeping a tank together. As for heaters, i'd simply put one 150Watt heater on each end of the tank by the filter intakes and it'll heat the whole tank, and should one heater malfunction, then at least there's still heat going into the tank, on the flip side it won't be enough to fry any fish if it gets too hot.

For safety`s sake, I may still go with the metal braces. I will have silicone in between the brace and the tank as well as maybe even some foam board.

I`ve decided to re-silicone the tank as well, due to it`s age. It looks like the guy tried re-siliconing it himself, but as far as I have read, old and new silicone dont stick to each other.

Cleaned the tank out last night... boy was it disgusting!

Pics will follow as soon as I find my cord.

Hrm.... never thought of the whole salt and metal thing... I am just worried about siliconing glass braces in.... I like how open the tank is on top *sigh*.

Couldn't find camera cord >.>

Stocking has been updated:

possibly 2 purple spot gobies. They are actually a gudgeon.

I've got most of the tank cleaned of silicone now....

Should be able to start resiliconing this upcoming friday (3rd) any advice for resiliconing?

Edited by phoenixn7g

Just make sure that the glass is really clean and free of debris...nothing sucks more than re-siliconing and then finding a leak afterwards...pulling fresh silicone off sucks more than taking old stuff off. Oh, and if you find you do have to re-do it, using a wood chisel works wonders in getting it off. ;) Lessons learned the hard way...lol Have fun!

Wanna come help me wingin it? I am so scared of doing it wrong. Ive read a bunch of tuts, but I am still nervous. I would personally rather pay someone some $$ to come make sure I got all the old off and help me santize it prooperly and resilicone it for me. I would provide the silicone etc. I don't think it would take much more than an hour tops. Speaking of which, I'll go make an ad in the buy sells

Just got back from some LFS's. Can't find amanos anywhere!

Found some more dragons though, so methinks 1-2 more dragons in the tank makes a happy dragon family XD

As for archers, everywhere else wants like $30 for one archer! I paid that for 2 archers bigger than theirs! >.<

It may just end up being a slow thing where I gradally get more archers >.>

Got some pipe pricing from a local plumbing store.... now just to sit tight and wait until payday *twiddles thumbs*