Amano Shrimp

NatureNut

I just realized we've had these amano shrimp for almost 3 years. Does anyone know how long they live? I'm impressed they're still doing their job. :) Great scavengers for the tank!

How are they with eggs? I have been putting a cherry shrimp (sorry, don't recall the species name) in with all my killie eggs to keep the fungus down, as they won't touch the eggs, but keep them nice and clean. Do the amanos scavenge eggs or are they good with them too?

I tried a shrimp with some of my cichlid spawns, but the cichlids thought it was a treat! (just kidding. I didn't put them in the tank)

I've never tried shrimp w. eggs, so maybe give it a shot with something you'll know you get eggs from again. I've had so many shrimp at times, that I use them as feeders - most cichlids love 'em!

AFIK, there is only one strain of Amannos - it's typically the females that get that amazing stripe. They top out around 3"

Im looking into putting Shrimp in my community tank

(neons,guppys & pygmy corys)How hard are they to keep and breed?

I saw some realy nice cherry shrimp at Riverfront aquarium the other day

white with bright red stipes kinda clown looking

Hi!

I'm glad people are developing an interest in shrimp keeping. There is an excellent article on keeping Amano shrimp at this site: http://www.planetinverts.com/Amano%20Shrimp.html

I have definitely had Amano's live at least 3 years but since they were still living at the time I sold them, who knows how much longer they'll live.

Dan - I wasn't concerned about egg survival so I didn't concern myself with this. I'm guessing they would probably eat eggs if the opportunity presented itself. As for anybody in Calgary raising them, not likely. As far as I am aware, there has been myself and another living in Victoria that has successfully raised them. I gave all my F1's to my son when he took my last tank. There aren't multiple color strains as virtually all of them are wild caught. They are just too much trouble and time consuming to try to develop color strains. From time to time some of the females do color up. One person posted a picture of one that developed a blue black color, and I've had one that became reddish.

jvision - from what I've read, it seems there may be a number of species that get sold as Amano's. There are claims of them being bred in fresh water. The true Amano does not. There may be a number of look alike that could only be differentiated using a microscope.

Borgy - I think what you are describing as white with red stripes was probably Crystal Red Shrimp.

• 6 months later...

I know this post was from ages ago, but thought I'd throw in that they're still kickin'.

Also wanted to point out that they're huge scavengers. One night about a year ago I noticed a dead fish on the bottom of my tank. All 3 amanos were on it, feasting. I sat, jaw on the floor watching them. There wasn't much left of the fish when I first saw it, and within an hour it was gone. I snooped around looking for the skeleton, but couldn't even find that. Ultimate cleanup crew, I guess. I was surprised because since they are known for algae eating I figured they wouldn't be so boldly carnivorous! I would guess they would eat eggs as well!

And now there are 4... we had 3, and now there's 3 and a smaller one. They must have some success with reproduction, despite being plain water. Interesting.

I haven't bred anything ;) They do what they do all on their own. I always thought the amano shrimp we bought were amano shrimp, but maybe you'll tell me otherwise. I'm no shrimp expert, that's for sure! We have 2 in this tank that are ALWAYS carrying eggs, and one that isn't. Now there's a 4th. I can't think of any other way it could have gotten in there, since nothing has come into this tank in a couple of years.

Sorry the pics aren't great... Point and shoot and not so cooperative shrimp. ;)

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/nMOLGFROToNLobnp8m7ecSEFw5cuyHL51aZOFqKqA7U?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/eip5RU0gF4pbXhCepXZwTyEFw5cuyHL51aZOFqKqA7U?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/0E-4GWeLbpkTwRepAcl9PiEFw5cuyHL51aZOFqKqA7U?feat=directlink

I hope these work. I'm very new to picassa... let me know.

I think that one is the smallest, and what must have been born in the tank, yes. They get New life Spectrum surface feeder formula, which gets crushed up and hucked in so some of it sinks. This tank is a community tank, planted, and has several fish as well. The shrimp will come out and grab food, but mostly seems to eat off the plants and wood that are in the tank.

Hmmm, very interesting...I had read that the Mosura "shrimpton" shrimp foods will allow shrimp in the larvae stage to survive and grow in freshwater because the food gives them the same nutrients they would find in brackish water. So they claim basically that shrimp die in the larvae form because there are insufficient nutrients and so they say that it is a myth that Amano and other shrimp need brackish water to survive. I'm going to switch food in my shrimp tanks and see what happens!