power filters vs. sand

Vallisneria

Take a filter sponge and a knife and make a slit in the middle of the sponge and slip it over the intake. The slit only needs to be wide enough to tightly slip over the intake tube. Cut the slit down far enough so the whole lower art of the intake tube is covered. If it gets too loose use a small elastic.

I use a 2 x 2 x 3 block of filter foam. Cut an X shape in the the middle of the top. I use an Olfa knife and push the incision about 3/4 of the way down through the block of foam. Pull the opening apart a little bit and slide the intake tube in the hole as far as it will go. Voila!

EDIT: didn't realize this had already been answered.

Edited by CptCleverer

Val - here's the fine foam material I had mentioned;

http://www.wetpetsusa.com/hafifobirefo.html

The hole is approx the size of a pencil, but these will stretch over the smaller AC intakes. (up to an AC 200) It's a tight fit, but they work, and there is no way that sand will get past this foam, even if you have fish spit sand directly at or on the sponge.

• 1 month later...

No i've been busy lately so i haven't been able to make it to any LFS to check.

A little update on my filter though. I turned it off to clean the tank last week and i had a lot of trouble starting it again. It was making all these grinding noises and rattling a lot. After fiddling and cleaning it a million times i got it to work without too much noise. Yes i still have the AC mini prefilter sponge on the intake.

I have noticed that the caudos are digging like crazy. There is sand covering the rocks and even on the intake sponge. Not sure if some of the fine particles are making their way through the AC sponge or not but it sure sounds like it is. I think this summer i'll either change to aheavier sand or put the gravel back in. I really dont' like this play sand.