Edmonton water has ammonia in it right now

hey all, just did a tap water test (usually do one every month or so to check on things), and i see that Edmonton water has a bit of ammonia in it right now. it's just a titch lighter than 0.5 ppm, but not quite light enough to be called 0.25.

bump up your Prime doses everybody!

(and my test kit is spot on, i verified it against my planted tank that is confirmed zero ammonia)

That shouldnt be a problem in a cycled tank and if you use prime when doing a water change /

I also checked my city water for amonia... it checked out at 0ppm and I also checked the water for disolved solids .. its reading 240PPM normal / I live in North Edmonton... so it may be different depending on the location in the city that you live.

It is always good to check your water from time to time

Edited by corrosionjerry

jerry, you may get your water via the E.L. Smith treatment plant, whereas i get mine from the Rossdale plant (i'm in millwoods). there are always slight differences between the two plants from what i have seen on Epcor's water quality reports (i check them quite often).

and just so everyone knows, i tested with an API Freshwater Master Kit, not dip strips.

hey all, just did a tap water test (usually do one every month or so to check on things), and i see that Edmonton water has a bit of ammonia in it right now. it's just a titch lighter than 0.5 ppm, but not quite light enough to be called 0.25.

bump up your Prime doses everybody!

(and my test kit is spot on, i verified it against my planted tank that is confirmed zero ammonia)

Edmonton has been using ammonia in it's water for a while along with chlorine as far as I know. The two react and create a chloramine bond which is very effective at disinfecting the water. The test kit breaks this bond by dropping the pH of the test sample extremely low and then you get your ammonia reading ;)

ps:

Prime is the best :P

Prime is a dechlorinator, made by SeaChem.

post-3194-083053200 1291263206_thumb.jpg

i have been doing consistent and regular tap water testing and this is the first time i have seen ammonia show up in a long time. i think the last time i saw any readings from the tap it was in the spring, during run-off season.

i'm not personally concerned for my tanks, as they are mature and all have very established filters on them. just thought i'd let the community know about the ammonia.

back in july my water tested at .5ppm now its a little lower like your tests. i find it weird how others have 0ppm

<div><br></div><div>markod, prime is really concentrated stuff. 1mL per 10g will detoxify 1ppm of ammonia for up to two days, all while handling up to 4ppm chloramine/5ppm chlorine</div>

Edited by ridethespiral