Container Ponds

Becky

Anyone have one? I wanna try making one in a half whisky barrel and put it on my deck. I will need to find a liner or something, and will get a few native (or not?) aquatic plants, some gravel and a goldfish or two.

Any advice or tips you want to pass along? I don't plan on using a filter, just partial water changes every week.

Becky

PS:my neighbour puts goldfish in a big tank they use to water their cows for the summer. She doesn't ever feed them, the goldfish live off the bits of grain/hay/grass that the cows leave behind. Then she winters them in the house. One of the fish is 8 years old and doing fine.

IMO the 80 + litre tubs that they have at walmart for about 5 dollars would work well, they have rope handles. FYI. Canadian tire has whole whiskey barrels for 30 something. In theory you could make 2. A nice addition to a whisky barrel pond would be a bamboo deer scarer that is available at the big garden center in Balzac. With a tiny statuary pump you would get the sound of running water and goldfish seem fascinated by it