Anyone Have Any Experience With Sailfin Mollies

Wackinator

I am wanting to put some sailfin mollies into my 33 gallon tank, the only fish that are in the tank right now are corydoras, I was told that sailfin mollies need a lot of salt in their water? And that cories cant stand salt? Is that true?

If possible to keep them, how many can I keep in a 33 gallon tank? Lets say I put in a trio, can I put in black mollies or swordtails with them?

Thanks

Calgary water is excellent for mollies. Though mollies do like some salt, mine are quite happy without. They also live with some swordtails, angels and cories with no issues.

Depends on the size of the sailfins. They can be a big fish!! My personal fave mollies are schenops as they don't get that big. However, I do keep sailfins, lyretail, yucatans and gillis(wilds).Hmmm, aren't I supposed to be a betta person??? Anyhow give mollies a warm planted tank with Calgary water and you'll have more quickly!!

hey wackinator,

never kept any mollies but have swordtails. make sure you have 3:1 female/male ratio. thats the problem my work aquarium is having, 2:1 male to female and 1 male spends all day behind plants. also wouldnt the swords and mollies that you have interbreed?

Swords and platies can interbreed as they are both xiphophorus but mollies are poecilia. Mollies can interbreed and many domestic mollies are hybrids. But yes, definitely keep more females than males!!