Diatoms

My tank has been cycling with no livestock and around 40 lbs of LR for about a month now. I noticed a brownish algae starting to accumulate on my LR the other day and today saw it spread to the glass and sand, so I started researching it. It sounds like it is most likely Diatoms, I used tap water to fill the tank a month ago then Primed it and aged water treated with Prime for top ups. I am going to pick up a silicate test to test my supply water. I also did a 75% change on the tank today after I vacuumed the gravel and cleaned some of the glass to hopefully suck out some of the algae so a minimal amount of silicates are dispersed from the dead or leftover algae. Im just curious if anyone has any suggestions if Im addressing this nuissance the right way, or if theres any suggestions before this stuff suffocates my tank before I even stock it.

Adam

Diatoms aren't really one of those nuisance algaes that are impossible to get rid of - it just goes away after a bit. Usually no more than a few weeks.

Ya, I think I will keep the lights off for a week or so, they didnt show up until I picked up a new fixture for the tank. I guess I'll continue scrubbing and water changes in a couple days. Apparently SW is pretty finicky to start, but I cant wait until I can stock the tank. Thanks for the reply

Adam