HELP HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!!!

Raven

The Fry were Born, Like right now. Theres 4 of them, and i had the chance to see the last one being born as i was packing. So far one is scwirming a little bit, but the others arent really moving, execpt for theres mouths. But i dont know what to do so, HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!!

Edited by Raven

Put some foam over the intake for the filter and just leave em, the mother may pick em up and spit em out a few times over the course of the day (if thier africans?), but she'ss eventually spit em and leave em, this is when u should take the mother out of the tank and let the babies grow up.....feed em too, I buy Hikari First bites for my fry when they're that little, some pple use cyclopse something or another, but don't panic, its nature!!

Jodaye

OK, I went to go take out the mom and the other dead fry...... But, the alive guy swam out and hes in the tank somewhere! I found him twice and tried to catch him but cause hes so small he got away.Its been a while since ive ssen him now.... i wonder if hes cichlid bait of in the canaster filter. :cry:

He is probably strong enough to keep out of the canister. Mine were in the tank with a filter and survived...of course it is possible that some went into the filter that I am not aware of. The bigger threat would be the cichlids. He will have a hard time evading them for any length of time. Check underneath any floating plants, mine used to hang out under them.

I wish i got to this sooner ... calmness ... it works wonders.

As for the others lying around that is quite normal. It has been my experience that ameca splendens fry literally sink to the bottom of whatever they are housed in and just sit there for hours on end. they seem to be adjusting to your tanks own parameters.

Since he is in with cichlids, chances are that he will be eaten. Also, they are strong enough to not get sucked into a filteration system. If you want to be safe, do as above and put a piece of foam around your intakes.

If the female ameca is full grown, expect more then 4 fry. My female ameca was full grown and in one spawn she popped out something like 25 fry.

Of course, some were food for my angels at the time.

Ameca females, depending on maturity, will give birth anywhere from 5 to 65 fry.

Well, I couldnt find the little one any where. And over 2 and a half hours i took down the tank for the move, with out sign of him. :( I'm suprised at the size of some of the still born ones, one was nearly 1.5 cm thats huse considering 'mommy' is just over a inch. Oh, there were 5 in total, not bad for a first time.To think i could still have one fry left, if only he didnt get out of the trap. -.- And i'd like to say thanks to everyone, that replied here, and to the pms i sent to members when they were born. Anyway thanks.

Well, considering the mother was just an inch, it is not surprising some were still born.

At least you know that they will breed again. Personally speaking, raise the trap out of the water some so that other fish can't get into it and/or i would get a mesh one.

Best of luck with Future spawns!!!