Help Bloat In African Cichlid ?

THUNDER

Hi guys i have african cichlids and on x-mas eve i over feed them because i knew i wouldnt be home for 2 days. I had one i found yesterday that was beat up really bad. he died earler today. he looked like he was a little fat but i thought nothing of it. But now i have another one who i am sure has bloat. his eyes are cloudy his body looks puffed up and scales are being pushing out. Help what do i do guys!!!!

Edited by THUNDER

Epsolm salt Dose the tank at 1 teaspoon per gallon so for every 3 gallons put 1 tablespoon. You can get them from any grocery store pretty much(shoppers,safeway,wallmart,superstore etc) or you could possibly find some by raiding a females bathroom that contains a bathtub. You don't want sented or dyed or other ones just plain epsolm salt.

Stop feeding the fish

A few days of no food is completely fine even over a long weekend and never ever over feed especially africans. Many experienced keepers even skip feeding for one day a week.

Switch to NLS ( I have and had a bad habbit of overfeeding my africans and had bloat issues so instead of guessing i switched and haven't had a single case since)

I know there is another way to treat bloat that someone on here has described before and used with success Try the search bar.

What i have described above shouldn't interfear with any other treatment you try.

Good luck

L

For bloat I use a product by AP called clout it works very well. It has been my experience that fish with bloat usually take a lot more than 1-2 days to start dying and/or have their scales start popping out. You might want to investigate things a bit more so that you can be sure that your fish are getting the proper medication.