Live Food

sicklid

I live in the west end of Edmonton beside a naturalized storm management pond and we have a large skating rink and skating path around the pond. When we water it we have to drill holes for the pump intake. When I pull the auger up to clear the hole these live shrimp come up as well as small gold fish (they are breeding in the pond). I put a few of each in a plastic bag and threw them in to my Africans. Do you think they are ok to feed them to my fish or not??? Thought I should get opinions before I give them more.....BTW they really seem to like them as they were pounded quickly...........

What would you do to quarantine them? They freeze in minutes on the ice and are dead by the time I throw them in......

Good chance they could have some bacteria, and as for quarantining...it takes too long for them to be useful as feeders. So you're taking a chance....only way to use live feeders and be really safe is to raise your own, I'm afraid.

I wouldn't feed them every day.....funny though that the goldfish are reproducing in the pond and the water is just above freezing. In the summer you can see clouds of them. The ducks and other waterfowl are aplenty as the food stock is good. Someone dumped the goldfish in years ago as well there are some Koi , but they get into the mud and hibernate. Quite a pond. The land was formerly the old WEM rest farm for their mall animals. The pond at one time was called the Triple Five Wetlands.

I worked for the City of Edmonton over the summer and I;m quite familiar with the pond you are talking about. There are fish and ducks that live in that pond but the pond is still a stormwater management area. This means in a rain storm water runs from the streets and surrounding area into the water. There is a lot of salt, hydrocarbons, and fertilizers that get into the water. This will eventually get into the food chain and the shrimp that you are feeding. While it may not cause immediate death or sickness over a period of months or years it could build up and cause problems. If it were my fish I wouldn't risk it.