Is This Pump To Big

corrosionjerry

I purchased a HQB-3500 pump a couple of years back when I had the brain fart of moving my ro water mix directly from my conditioning barrel to my Discus tank that was about 40ft away / it has a H-max of 3.5M at 3000L/H / never used the darn thing even once....

I am guessing that this is going to be to powerful to use if I put together a sump tank that will be about 4ft below the mother tank / is there some way that this thing can be toned down if it is to powerful?

I guess at the very least I should be able to use it in my barrel when I get some live rock to cure or will it be to terbulant for even that?

That is a beast! I'd try to make a few outputs in the tank - you should be able eliminate all dead spots! You can also T off thru a UV filter, you can use the pump to run your skimmer, and you can run a T back to the beginning/middle of your sump to bleed off excess pressure.

LOL / yep to big.....

Well....yes and no. Depends on the setup you are making. I have a 1200gph pump in my 55g tank right now - no sump. :shifty:

But I blocked all kinds of live rock in front of it to disperse the force of the flow.....lots of good flow throughout the tank, but not blowing everyone around.

You'd have to be very creative to use that in a normal 4ft or so tank.

Guess you better upgrade to a 320g or something. :thumbs:

800 gph is not too much flow in a reef tank. I'm running just under 2000 gph in a 24 gal. It is not excessive. Try using two or three outlet points back into the tank, should create nice flow throughout.

If you want to throttle the pump back put a ball valve on the outlet side (not the suction side) and set it wherever you want. A smaller pump will be more economical in the long run.

LOL / yep to big.....

Well....yes and no. Depends on the setup you are making. I have a 1200gph pump in my 55g tank right now - no sump. :shifty:

But I blocked all kinds of live rock in front of it to disperse the force of the flow.....lots of good flow throughout the tank, but not blowing everyone around.

You'd have to be very creative to use that in a normal 4ft or so tank.

Guess you better upgrade to a 320g or something. :thumbs:

800 gph is not too much flow in a reef tank. I'm running just under 2000 gph in a 24 gal. It is not excessive. Try using two or three outlet points back into the tank, should create nice flow throughout.

If you want to throttle the pump back put a ball valve on the outlet side (not the suction side) and set it wherever you want. A smaller pump will be more economical in the long run.

Bosshog is correct, and I missed something....3000L/H, not gph. So yes, 800gph should be fine for you.

Nah the LPH is Fine I run a 950GPH return and a 1200 PH and thinking of adding 1 more for dead spots on a 90G .....what worries me is you say a pic of a pond on the box?......pond pumps don't usually work on reef tanks there is sometimes non stainless screws or metal shaft that will rust is SW

Edited by Murminator

Bosshog is correct, and I missed something....3000L/H, not gph. So yes, 800gph should be fine for you.

Nah the LPH is Fine I run a 950GPH return and a 1200 PH and thinking of adding 1 more for dead spots on a 90G .....what worries me is you say a pic of a pond on the box?......pond pumps don't usually work on reef tanks there is sometimes non stainless screws or metal shaft that will rust is SW

What brand would you suggest.... I have two 1050Hydor Powerheads that I will be putting into this 50G tank as well.

After reading the side of the box I am thinking it should be safe... it may be ok... Here is what is says... What do you think?

Shell is made of quality stainless steel or plastics

Axle cores and casing made of quality ceramics and are waterproof

Motor and wires are sealed by a special resin Insulation

I've used pond equipment for SW applications in the past. As long as it's the good stuff, and not cheap Box Store brands (I'm not a fan of Laguna pumps), you should be fine. I'd use it. :)