Shrimp Habitat

Hippoherder

I thought I would put my 2 cents worth ... actually it was a lesson that cost me a lot more! I had a healthy tank of a ton of Endlers and approx. 50 Cherry shrimp. I did a water change and watched the Endlers die off one by one, next was the Cherry shrimp. All died in about half an hour. Hubby, who has no idea about fish stuff discovered the cause, the water conditioner had gone rancid. I learned to always smell the conditioner before I use it. Not sure if this was the problem with your Cherry shrimp?

The water conditioner I used was new with the habitat. The shrimp I put in were larger and older, so maybe that had something to do with it. But they were fine until I added a dozen more shrimp to the tank. Maybe it was the cycling. It definately wasn't ammonia or nitrates. The more I think of the Shrimp habitat, the more it seems like an intermediate to advanced tank set up as it is so small and things can go wrong quickly. Beside that, I wouldn't buy it again or reccomend it.

I never thought of rancid conditioner though. I will definately keep an eye out for it -thanks :)

I thought I would put my 2 cents worth ... actually it was a lesson that cost me a lot more! I had a healthy tank of a ton of Endlers and approx. 50 Cherry shrimp. I did a water change and watched the Endlers die off one by one, next was the Cherry shrimp. All died in about half an hour. Hubby, who has no idea about fish stuff discovered the cause, the water conditioner had gone rancid. I learned to always smell the conditioner before I use it. Not sure if this was the problem with your Cherry shrimp?

Were you using Seachem Prime? If so, it's supposed to smell like sulphur and according to Seachem, it never expires. The breeder I bought my shrimp from suggested to use Nutrafin Aqua Plus instead of Prime and if I chose to use Prime to be sure and not over dose it. Personally I don't think shrimp are that hard to keep, the back up work has to be done and conditions need to be monitored.

They are higher maintenance but if a newbie wants to put in the time and effort, then go for it. I am not talking from a tonne of experience as I only have had mine for a whopping 2 days but everyone I got are doing great (eating and molting). I think the research, help from friends (forum members) and the guidance from the breeder will pay off. I chose to start with Red Cherries (Painted Fire Red), Crystal Reds (SSS+ Crowns and Flowers) and Mexican Orange Dwarf Crayfish (CPO). All 3 tanks are set up slightly differently; both shrimp tanks are at a pH ~6.7 due to the Fluval Shrimp Stratum and I had to move my CRS tank out of my fish room because it's a couple °F too hot. They both are mainly RO water, keeping the hardness at ~3°GH. The CPO are about half RO and a hardness of ~8°GH.

My advice for those who want to keep more delicate and expensive species is do your research, buy quality gear and keep up on your maintenece...oh yeah have fun.

Ron

I have some Cherry Shrimp in my Fluval Flora tank as well, I bought 20 of them and have fished out about 5-6 dead ones over the past month or so. I did see a Baby one last night so it can't be too bad.

I think the Flourish Excel killed off some of my shrimp, I think that stuff is pretty toxic to those lil buggers. I'm just glad they didn't all die. Oh, and around the same time one of my Female Guppies was floating

around on the surface.

I think the Flourish Excel killed off some of my shrimp, I think that stuff is pretty toxic to those lil buggers. I'm just glad they didn't all die. Oh, and around the same time one of my Female Guppies was floating around on the surface.

I use Excel in my shrimp tank all the time and have never had an issue, even with the Crystal red shrimp which are more sensitive. If your guppies are having problems too i'd check the water quality.