Aquaclear 110 Or ?

kirridge

for a 90 gallon i'd go with two Aquaclear 110 hobs if your stocking isn't too high. for a heavier bioload i would go with two canister filters.

i have a rena xp2 and a rena xp4 running on a 55 with an oscar (not full grown yet) and an almost full grown paratilapia polleni. those two canisters keep up nicely with the amount of waste these two big boys put out.

i've read good reviews on the Sunsun canisters (also known as Perfect brand). you should be able to find them on ebay.

IMO you always want two filters running on any tank larger than 10-20 gallons, just in case one konks out then you aren't left with a giant fishbowl and rising ammonia levels.

I have 2 AC 110 running on my 90g african tank. I like them as they have lots of flow, great mechanical filtration, are cheaper and are easy to clean. I run them with 2 sponges and clean one sponge from each filter every month. Been working for me for 5+years

Another way would be to have a AC110 and a cannister filter. But that option is more expensive unless you can find a cheap used cannister.

Two AC 110's will provide enough mechanical & bio filtration for even the most extreme stocking levels in a 90 gallon tank. The 325 gallon display tank at Gold's is filtered by three AC 110's, no bio-max rings, lava rock, bio balls, pot scrubbers etc, just sponges, and floss.

Here's how my AC 110's are set up. I use one large sponge, three thin blue/white filter pads (sandwiched together), topped off with an AC media bag full of Bio-Max rings.

I get superb mechanical filtration out of the large sponge, the

blue/white filter media helps catch the finer material, and the Bio-Max

rings give me top notch biological filtration. The finer blue/white media wears thin over time, but I haven't bought a new sponge or bio rings in the past 10 yrs.

The 40 or so Bio Max rings alone have approx 288 square meters of surface area for bio filtration. In most situations, 2 AC sponges will be more than adequate, I simply like to take things up a notch when it comes to filtration. :)