Fluval "ebi" And "flora"

Boxchucker

I had the Ebi running for a couple of months and broke it down. My inverts started dying, fish were fine. One of the main gripes I have is with the "shrimp" substrate that comes with it. It isn't supposed to be disturbed and it makes a bloody mess if you do. This makes cleaning a bit of a challenge imho I would also choose a different filter. It looks nice when done right but I could have gotten much more tank or a comprable size tank with better equiptmen for the money. It works for some but I won't use it again. I am plan to post mine (complete minus the substrate) for sale or trade.

I had the Ebi running for a couple of months and broke it down. My inverts started dying, fish were fine. One of the main gripes I have is with the "shrimp" substrate that comes with it. It isn't supposed to be disturbed and it makes a bloody mess if you do. This makes cleaning a bit of a challenge imho I would also choose a different filter. It looks nice when done right but I could have gotten much more tank or a comprable size tank with better equiptmen for the money. It works for some but I won't use it again. I am plan to post mine (complete minus the substrate) for sale or trade.

What kind of inverts did you have dying in your Ebi? Did you lightly rinse your substrate before putting it in your tank?

I really like the Shrimp Stratum substrate and when I do my weekly cleanings I do a light vacuuming which doesn't cloud the water much if at all. Since my original layout, I've rearranged the plants a couple times which clouded the water but it was crystal clear by the next day. I think the substrate is a key to shrimp keeping by lowering the pH. They could use more substrate in the kit, the supplied 2 kg bag doesn't create a layer thick enough for easy planting; I have 3 kg of Shrimp Stratum in each of my Ebi's. As for the filter, I think it should come with some kind of pre-filter and different media. In my 2 Ebi filters, I filled the last chamber with Eheim Substrat Pro for more biological filtration.

Ron

Edited by Ron

You aren't actually supposed to disturb the substrate or add inhabitants that will. Oddly enough the shrimp that died off were my cherry shrimp and a couple of rainbows. The CRS were fine. Fish in the tank were also fine. The die off happened about 6 weeks in if I recall. Water quality was fine. The tank looked nice but I just think its a poor setup. Also, for less than the price of the nano I got a 29 gallon complete set up. It looks nice and the shrimp and fish are thriving. It was my first nano experience. It works well for some. Its just not the right fit for me.

What kind of inverts did you have dying in your Ebi? Did you lightly rinse your substrate before putting it in your tank?

I really like the Shrimp Stratum substrate and when I do my weekly cleanings I do a light vacuuming which doesn't cloud the water much if at all. Since my original layout, I've rearranged the plants a couple times which clouded the water but it was crystal clear by the next day. I think the substrate is a key to shrimp keeping by lowering the pH. They could use more substrate in the kit, the supplied 2 kg bag doesn't create a layer thick enough for easy planting; I have 3 kg of Shrimp Stratum in each of my Ebi's. As for the filter, I think it should come with some kind of pre-filter and different media. In my 2 Ebi filters, I filled the last chamber with Eheim Substrat Pro for more biological filtration.

Ron