Fluval "ebi" And "flora"

Boxchucker

The blog

"Lighting

The Fluval Ebi features a 13 watt daylight compact fluorescent light, which is shielded by the plastic cover on the top of the aquarium. The light will support ample live plant growth of low to mid light plants"

Appears to slim - doesn't look like the cfl's you would buy @ the dollar store.

Perhaps the dangling bulb was 'shopped' out?

They have examples of these tanks set up at PJ's pets in Londonderry They look okay but for shrimp you'd have a hard time growing out adults from any babies produced because the filter easily sucks them up. Other than that they look really nice and would be great for some taller plants.

L

Unpacked my Ebi's last night, they look awesome with the curved glass. Filter needed some tweeking as I have read that the stock set up will easily suck baby shrimp into the filter. It only comes with sponges so I filled the largest chamber with Eheim Substrat Pro. I hope to speed cycle these 2 as I have a shrimp shipment this coming Thursday. I hope they come out with a bigger version like they did with the Chi, gets kinda crowded if you need a heater, a 12 - 15 gallon version would be great.

I took a look at them and would be interested in more info on the lighting. Anybody know??

I can bring by a light for you to have a look at if you want, I could also bring my light meter to see what levels of UVA and UVB these things are kicking out initially.

Ron

Edited by Ron

• 2 weeks later...

I own a Fluval Flora tank, I love it, its pretty small, but its a blast to setup, very minimal maintenance. The plants grow like crazy, Some of my plants are growing an inch a day.

Currently I have some cherry shrimp, 2 Blue German Ram's (which I'm transferring to a 20gal tomorrow) some snails and 3 Fancy Guppies and some fry. I have had that tank

for about 3 months now, and am still on my first CO2 canister (I release it very slow) such a small tank doesn't need much. Also the CO2 setup is built for a 15 gal apparently, and the

fluval is only 7.6 or something. Only complaint so far is the lighting system that broke after just a month. I finally had it replaced free of charge since there was a manufacturing error with

some of the units. Its all fixed now, and can't be happier. It is pricey to buy and setup, but in the end it looks great. Its silent, so you could even set it up in your bedroom and not notice it.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple issues I would like to address:

Light Fixtures on Ebi & Flora

We received some units with a 11W light bulb. It should be a 13W light bulb as this is the rated wattage for the light fixture. If you experience premature bulb failure (within 1 month), please take the light fixture & bulb back to where you purchased the kit from, and they will replace it for you.

Internal Filter on Ebi & Flora

I see comments about the filter "sucking up" baby shrimp. The intake grids on this filter are very fine and the water flow is specifically set for a 6.6 gal volume. The baby shrimp are more than likely exploring their environment and perhaps seeking refuge or food in the filter chamber. The water flow is not strong enough to draw them into the filter.

I encourage people to use moss balls, natural rock, and the Ebi 'cave' ornamnets as hiding devices for shrimp. We are having great success with the Ebi and I have seen a lot of very attractive displays in the stores and consumer submitted photos.

Thanks for your support!

Kevin Pederson

Rolf C. Hagen Inc.

Internal Filter on Ebi & Flora

I see comments about the filter "sucking up" baby shrimp. The intake grids on this filter are very fine and the water flow is specifically set for a 6.6 gal volume. The baby shrimp are more than likely exploring their environment and perhaps seeking refuge or food in the filter chamber. The water flow is not strong enough to draw them into the filter.

When I first set up my Ebi, I stuffed a sponge in the first chamber so baby shrimp don't get sucked in. I had a small CPO in my Ebi, larger than a baby shrimp, and it was stuck to the intake; I had to unplug my filter before it could escape. I switched the filter immediately to a sponge filter.

Quick caution to current owners.

I dont personally own this tank but there have been posts on other forums about the 3D backgrounds randomly shooting out of the top of the tank and knocking the glass top and light fixture off. Apparently the adhesive used to attach it to the back glass starts to let go and the background itself is pretty buoyant. I believe its only a handful of occurrences but if it happens more than once within a year of the tanks initial product release it might indicate a problem waiting to pop up unexpectedly.

Wondering if this has been addressed by Hagen or not?

I've notice on TPT a lot of the people put a panty hose on the outside of the filter intake to prevent shrimplets from being caught in there. Seems to work really well.

I'm going to try and hollow out a sponge this weekend and fit it over the bottom.

I'm going to try and hollow out a sponge this weekend and fit it over the bottom.

I was bored so I made my pre-filter tonight. Please keep in mind that I was focussing on the pre-filter in my photo, I am really not that bad of a photographer.

post-5043-0-40737400-1299372690_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ron