Bulk Head Size

corrosionjerry

Ok // I need a little help here....

I am getting a tank ready to go for salt reef tank with sump below... the tank is 70G ... do I need to turn that water over ten times per hour or what generally is the rule of thumb for water turnover...

what size will I need to have this drill out to turn over that much water...1"?

I would go with a 1" drain (or 2 if you want to do a Herbie drain - Google & CanReef will tell you what that is) and 2x 3/4" returns. The holes needed for bulkheads are generally 1/4"-1/2" bigger than the pipe. I was just at Rona the other day b/c I'm going to be drilling a tank or two. I'm doing 1" drains, but the 1" diamond drill bit was too small and the 1.5" looked a bit too big - I will either have to find a 1.25" or use a 1" and grind it out a bit w. the Dremel (which I've done before).

I like 2 returns so that I can easier eliminate dead spots in the tank. I like to have returns in the top back corners with a lock-line return into the tank, so that I can direct flow exactly where I need it.

Tank Turn over should be based on what you are going to stock the tank with. SPS like higher flow rate than Softies. Also would depend on your bio load for fish. Right now in my 50G tank, my turn over is 40X with the power heads. I used 3/4" pipe in mine. I have my build thread on here. There is alot of information over at Canreef. And welcome to the SALT side! lol

Jeff

• 1 month later...