Sprayer Bar Placement?

Tiric

I was wonder for those who use a canister filter. how do you have your sprayer bar set? Right now mine is facing up towards the surface of the water for some surface agitation. Should you have some agitation at the surface, or does it matter.

I also think I have low water flow in the tank. Should I consider picking up a power head, second canister filter or air pump?

Tank is a 90gal reg with xp3 with light fish stocking

Thanks

Sounds like all is well. If you don't have plants then a steady roil at the surface is best for oxygenation.

The Xp3 will do great for a light load and fish that are not too messy. I would check it once a month for a while.

Unless you have a type of fish that likes or needs a lot of current a powerhead may not be necessary but wont hurt either.

J

I use a spraybar in my planted tank. I keep it aimed at the surface for a little bit of agitation to combat the surface film that seems to always develop in my tank.

Your tank is 90 Gal how many GPH is your filter rated at?and is it planted or not? I think the recommended is 5-10x per hour so you will want something with around 450 gph if it is not planted and up to 900 gph if it is planted. THe xp3 is rated at 350 gph so maybe a second filter? What kind of fish do you keep?

for any tank larger than 10 or 20 gallons i would highly recommend a second filter. you don't want your only filter conking out on a large tank and have that tank turn into a big fishbowl with rising ammonia.

i'd say add another xp3. you can never have too much filtration (unless you are dealing with really delicate fish that don't like a lot of flow). on one of my 55's i have two renas, xp4 and xp2. although i have large fish in the tank, i wouldn't hesitate to use this same filter combination with smaller fish.

i have the spraybar attached to my xp4 and have it 1.5 inches under the water surface, with the holes angled up at about 45 degrees. works great for surface turbulence and oxygenation.

Edited by BettaFishMommy

Maximum aeration is achieved when the spraybar is at surface level with the holes pointed parallel to the surface. You can also greatly assist your periodic maintenance by positioning the spraybar at the end of the tank that your filter uptake is at. That way the current is pushed away from the spraybar along the surface towards the opposite end, and back along the bottom towards the uptake. Most of any of the larger grunge should then be deposited below the uptake, making siphoning easier. If your tank is lightly stocked as you say, then another filter or power head is not necessary.

Edited by syno321

gBOYsc2,

I have neon tetra's and glow light's in the tank right now. Haven't really decided on what else to add in there yet.

About 25 of them total. Have few plants in there right now (Anubis) Been looking at the Eheim pro 3 filter line, if and when I do add more fish to the tank.

Hmm I'm sure your filter can handle the bioload for those fish, but I'm not sure what they prefer for flow. If they seem happy I don't think you *NEED* to upgrade. An Eheim pro 3 series sure would be nice though!

A school of 50 or more neons sure would be a spectacular sight. Personally I am a fan of many small fish as opposed to few larger fish. To each their own though.