Heater

jasher

Sorry I posted incorrectly (ipad..idon't know to navigate too well)

I had a 200W Stealth, purchased it Dec of 2010, it was running ok, but all these posts got me nervous, I purchased a 150W Eheim as a replacement, I now don't worry about it. The stealth, well.. I'll wait for the recall or maybe see if PetSmart will give me some in store credit

Edited by Bawie

I have been looking for a temp controller that isn't a piece of shite, and won't make my @$$ hurt when I buy it. My reasoning for getting one is to reduce the chance of malfunctions. All heaters get hot and heat water, whether it is a Jaeger or a cheap Chinese piece of dung. Where they will fail is water tightness and/or the switch. Most are a bi metal strip of some sort, lots of temperature swings and failures. I thought if I had a controller both my heaters could work in unison, hell for what it;s worth I could throw in a third just in case one calves and I don't notice.

Is there anyone who can recommend one?

Edited by Jayba

Mine are 5 yrs old now, still working well, but they didn't come cheap. :cry:

For whatever reason the entire line (Medusa) appears to now be discontinued. http://www.sealifesupply.com/medusa.htm

There are far cheaper units out there, I've heard very good things about Ranco over the years,and they are priced more reasonably than a lot of similar units out there.

http://www.etcsupply.com/ranco-etc111000000-digital-temperature-controller-p-86.html

or the pre-wired version .......

http://www.etcsupply.com/ranco-etc111000000-prewired-digital-temperature-controller-p-87.html

HTH

I have been using Reefkeeper Lite from Digital Aquatics. The cheapest config ($100 - 120 price range) come with controller unit, one temp probe and a 4 outlet (controlled) power bar. I love it. Plug the heater into power bar, program Reefkeeper to turn on that plug when Temp (from supplied probe) drops below 'X' value. I bought the base package and an extra power bar and am using to control lighting, heaters, sump pump, skimmer and power heads (has a wave feature). You can add other modules & probes for things like PH, salinity, orp, float switches etc., but Reefkeeper Lite is limited to 4 modules (1 power bar = 1 module), they have an Elite version if you need more. Web site for them is www.digitalaquatics.com.

Darrell