Tail-Biting...

BettaSlave

I'm so mad! Cass, my turquoise/green marble cellophane doubletail, is tail-biting... I was planning to breed him sometime this March, too.

He's looks happy, he's marbled a ton since I got him, he's blowing bubblenests, eating like a pig, showing off to my other girls... this is just so frustrating!

Since it's usually caused by stress or boredom (not stress, he's a pretty happy little guy)- I put a ping-pong ball in there for him to chase around, I have lots of plants for him to hide in, I've experimented with the length of his amount of "excercise" time (flaring), I've put him closer to the other bettas, I've moved him away, he has a little snail buddy in there with him, he has a cave... His temperature's at 78, and his tank is a 2.5 gallon, with 75% water changes every other day... with a bit of IAL in there too.

What else can I possible do?! He's pretty spoiled (his tank is a jungle- he still has lots of swimming room though), so what am I doing wrong?

Cate, when a betta starts tail biting due to boredom, you want to occupy him as much as possible so he basically doesn't have time or doesn't feel the need to tail bite. but if the betta is tail biting due to stress then you want to eliminate all the 'busy' in and around his tank, because that could be what is causing the biting. one just has to figure out why they're biting first, sometimes not so easy, lol.

BettaSlave, first try moving the females to where he can't see them. he may be tail biting in 'frustration' because he can see the ladies but cannot get to them to spawn.

another suggestion i have would be to put some cheap shrimp in there for him to chase and harass. ghost shrimp IMO would be a good choice. yes, you do have to be prepared for a lil carnage, but isn't that what ghost shrimp are for? to be hunted/eaten? shrimp are more active than snails and the skitter motion might be enough to pique the betta's interest/natural carnivore behaviour.

and yes, they can reach their own tails to take a chunk out!

Wingin' It- Yep... it's rather common with the long-finned bettas, so I've heard... (plakats can't reach around that far I don't think, I've never heard of a tail-biting plakat.) It's so frustrating! Argh! I know I've made that quite clear in this thread, but his fins are completely in shreds now...

And BettaFishMommy, I've tried moving the females away, doesn't seem to do anything... meanwhile his lovely clear fins are just getting shorter and shorter... I will definitely try the shrimp, though, thank you for the idea!

Edited by BettaSlave

Oh, if only! :lol:

Bought him a few shrimps, doesn't take much interest in them... he just looks them over and goes on doing his usual fishy stuff.... I guess if he hasn't taken interest in the shrimps in a few days, I'll give them to a few of my other fiesty bettas as a treat.

I can't think of anything else to do...