Anubias On Df Question / Help

Dalray

so i have a large anubias on drift wood and the plant itself is growing brown stuff on it along with some hair algae. i guess my questions are: 1. how do i rid the plant of this brown looking stuff on the leafs.? 2. how to i rid myself of hair algae? 3. how do i get thwm healthier? my set up is a 25 tall with black florite for gravel i dose with seachem florish, and for lighting its a t8 ultra sun light. lighting is on for 7-8 hours a day. thank you in advance.

the brown sounds like diatoms. is the tank newly set up?

any natural daylight hitting the tank? that would contribute to the hair algae. i know my big guys' tank gets a beam of sunlight on it every sunny day through the patio door and it's my only tank with hair algae in it, and it's the tank with the most diatoms (my theory is high silicate play sand combined with sun light).

i would say manual removal and maybe dose Excel? i've read that it kills algae if dosed at a certain strength, but i'm sorry i don't remember which algae it kills and which dosage you would need. hopefully some of our Excel experts will chime in soon.

Edited by BettaFishMommy

Florish Excel is great at killing Black Bush Algae but i'm not too sure about the hair algae. Brown stuff on the anubias you might try taking your fingers and rubbing it off the leaves. The Hair algae well that is something that i can't off the top of my head remember what the cause is. Try a google search.

Good luck

L

some more info....

the light is a single t8 18" 15watt neon. there is little to no direct sunlight that gets the tank. i change the water every wednesday and sunday and i change out approx 30-40%, its been set up for approx 3-4months now. as for fish load there is 6 pygmy cories, 8 red rams, and a couple guppies to help train the rams to stop hiding. the substrate is the black florite about 1-2" worth. for filtation i have a single marineland biowheel 400? the biggest one does up to a 90 gal tank. a 150w heater set at approx 71F.

Change your water once a month...

By changing your water so often you are adding a lot of co2 on water change days but then during the week it becomes limited....Plants will adjust to low co2 levels if they remain constant but will not if there are spikes..Hair algae is a sign of this...

High tech tanks need more water changes due to fert build up...co2 is usually pressurized so levels do not fluctuate as much.

diatoms will dissapear as soon as things become stable....

so since you choose to have a low tech tank just sit back and enjoy...growth will be slow but little work is needed.

I have fixture you can have...its a 15 watt just like yours...i think there is a plant bulb in it.....It will keep you in the low light category and you will be able to grow most plants in that category...moss, ferns, crypts etc.....

If you choose to buy a better light fixture in the future I encourage you to buy pressurized co2 first. Thats your meal ticket to healthy plants..