Fluval Edge - Iwagumi Aquascape

BettaVishVish

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

According to the tag..it's Hemianthus callitrichoides. I can't remember the name of the taller plant. The plants (HC) grow so far, except ..I now see more roots coming out. For the plant that is now floating, I had re-planted it probably 3 times in 3 weeks. Not really sure what to do with this. This is just my first try..I'll definetely try again using the proper technique :D

Hopefully this picture is a little bit clearer:

post-4613-0-88653100-1304370497_thumb.jpg

According to the tag..it's Hemianthus callitrichoides. I can't remember the name of the taller plant. The plants (HC) grow so far, except ..I now see more roots coming out. For the plant that is now floating, I had re-planted it probably 3 times in 3 weeks. Not really sure what to do with this. This is just my first try..I'll definetely try again using the proper technique :D

It'll root much better with a dry start. OR... drain the water to the top of the gravel, carefully plant everything being sure to back fill any craters left from your tweezers. Cover everything lightly with news paper or paper towel and then add a layer or two of saran wrap over the paper. Very slowly refill the tank. Something a little bigger than air line tubing is perfect to let the water run in the tank. You want the water to move very slowly and not disturb anything. Once full, slowly remove the saran and paper and everything should be undisturbed.

HC doesn't root well without a dry start. Most people have this issue. Another thing you can do is sprinkle substrate on top of the HC after you plant it to add weight. Once it fills in the sprinkling will be covered.

It'll root much better with a dry start. OR... drain the water to the top of the gravel, carefully plant everything being sure to back fill any craters left from your tweezers. Cover everything lightly with news paper or paper towel and then add a layer or two of saran wrap over the paper. Very slowly refill the tank. Something a little bigger than air line tubing is perfect to let the water run in the tank. You want the water to move very slowly and not disturb anything. Once full, slowly remove the saran and paper and everything should be undisturbed.

HC doesn't root well without a dry start. Most people have this issue. Another thing you can do is sprinkle substrate on top of the HC after you plant it to add weight. Once it fills in the sprinkling will be covered.

Thank you for the tips.

btw..I've received the Takashi Amano's book. It's a great book & inspiring for setting up Iwagumi aquascape.

the biggest problem with hc is its bouyoncy...I have grown a fall carpet of this plant and its a PITA....To keep it from floating up you must trim it regularly. Once its established its a weed...It grows very fast...The more plant mass increases the more it wants to float....dry start is your best bet but even then its not the easiest long term plant...

If you want a good carpet plant....try crypt parva....Its a nice easy low maintenence plant...

the biggest problem with hc is its bouyoncy...I have grown a fall carpet of this plant and its a PITA....To keep it from floating up you must trim it regularly. Once its established its a weed...It grows very fast...The more plant mass increases the more it wants to float....dry start is your best bet but even then its not the easiest long term plant...

If you want a good carpet plant....try crypt parva....Its a nice easy low maintenence plant...

+1 on the parva. I have a nice carpet going, and I love how it looks, but it grows sooooo slow. I've had under all the conditions I could think of and it just doesn't get going. I would start with a good amount of pots, probably 4 or 5 for a decent lawn. My HC carpet is a pain to maintain. I think I'm going to less the dwarf hair grass swallow it.

I also agree on the crypt parva. I'm in the process of growing a carpet of it in my 56g and its a great foreground plant. It does grow really slow so get a few pots to start but now that mine is settled in its starting to send out quite a few runners.

if you want an easier and faster to grow carpet plant, try sagittaria subulata. Great plant and a personal fave of mine. Then again, most plants(that I can grow) are faves of mine. As for the rest; :tongue:

the only issues I have with dwarf sag is that its really invasive...It will take over the tank...

Agreed, I had Sag before I put in the Parva. I removed all of it I could see yet even after 6 months I'm still finding little sprouts of it coming up. Parva makes a nice carpet over the gravel, none of my crypts are over 1" high. Dwarf Sag was much taller then that so it was a different look. It gets too tall to be a foreground plant in a small tank.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...