Dog Eats Lead? Plant Weights

byte

Hello Everyone:

Long time since I posted here, but have a question.

My dog may have swallowed 4 lead? weights that are used to hold togehter the aquatic plants at the stores? I have always heard them referrred to as made of lead. Since the plants come out of singpore, asking the shippers is hard. My vet needs to know the types and amounts of metals in these thin metal strips. Any one have ideas?

Thanks for the help :P

byte

post-2943-0-50429000-1297800283_thumb.jpg

I don;t know the answer to this but I would suggest checking your dog's "little brown presents" to see if they pass through. One of my dogs used to eat crayons and we had some very pretty decorations on our lawn from time to time.

from what i have read, they are not made out of actual lead. not sure what their composition is though.

if it was my dog, i'd watch for a day or so to see if all 4 pass in the stool, and if not, i'd consider x-rays at the vet to make sure none of them are causing blockages or have ripped up any intestines due to possible sharp edges.

when your dog possibly ate them, do you remember if the weights were flat or folded up? that could make a difference in how easily he can pass them.

Edited by BettaFishMommy

I doubt they are lead, Probably just like the pewter weights on tires with balancing....

Doesn't rust and Im sure it will be fine in one end out the other as long as it isn't sharp...

just for your information:

Wheel weights are not pewter. They are primarily lead, they do have zinc ones now, but that still are not a prevalent as the lead ones.

I'd give better than even odds those strips are lead. They are the right color, malleable, and heavy. Given the part of the world the plants come from they'd be cheap and readily available to suppliers.

Do a bit of google searching for more info.

IMO, and opinion only,the bigger fear would be them causing a blockage, not the fact that they are lead.

Edited by bosshog

I believe that most plant weights are now made of zinc or zinc/tin because of the dangers of lead. The plant weights sold in North American stores, and those used by plant producers from Florida (for example) are probably just that. A plant producer in Asia may or may not conform to the same regulations and might still be using lead.

Do you still have any weights that the dog missed? Paint/decorating stores should carry simple little lead tests (for lead paint). Maybe give it a try on the weights.

Hello everyone and tanks :P for the replys.

I thought like most, the only danger would be the objects might not pass and cause a blockage. After 2 days, I consulted my vets and was shocked to learn that if the weights were lead and he did injest them, he would all ready have lead poisioning and they would be able to do nothing. Not being able to get a idea of the material used as the strips and plants come from Singapore, we did and exray of lil Scrappy dog (20 pounds) and found no metal in his body *Smiles* Since he is showing no signs of poisioning about 4 days after, we think that he may have not ate the strips, just the foam that wraps the plants. A blood test was also taken and the lab results will show lead if it is present.

Be careful with these weights, i never imagined the foam would be something a dog would eat. If those weights are lead (I suspect they are), they are very deadly to pets or kids.

Thanks again and happy fishing :)

post-2943-0-95002100-1297963145_thumb.jpg