Light Purchase In Edmonton

mrsailboats

Hey everyone been browsing for awhile so this is my into as well :)

I have had a couple plants in my 45 gal freshwater for awhile nothing that needed a co2 or significant lighting. I'm making the switch to probably a DIY co2 and now looking for some lighting options.

Before I spend the $200 plus that is what i saw at Big Al's today just looking for some advice. I think i should need in the 90 watt range if it is still planned out that way but really just looking for some recommendations that are cost effective that I can purchase. I currently have a black hood with a light that sits on top a plexi glass piece in the middle. So I am also looking for a new lid I assume and i guess that would be a glass top or something now adays. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

90 watts will bring you to 2 watts per gallon, which is good for low to medium light plants IMO. instead of buying a light fixture/glass lids brand new i would suggest putting a 'wanted' ad on here for a light and lid. i do believe you need a certain number of posts before you can access the classifieds though, maybe 5?

you can also make your tank open topped if you don't have any fish likely to jump and you don't mind topping off the evaporated water every few days or so.

as for diy co2, you're going to need a number of 2 litre bottles for a 45 gallon. i'd say at least 3 to make an impact with the co2. might be better to go pressurized, since that will be much less hassle, although it will cost you more than diy.

Yeah thanks for the advice. Can't quite get in to the classifieds yet. I was also worried that from buying a light fixture setup it might not have the same specs as when bought new? I guess if i only had to replace a new bulb that would be okay. As for the co2 yeah I'm a little low on the funds so for now the DIY will probably have to work. What is all needed for the pressurized setup other than the tank?

For a pressureized system you need: a CO2 tank, a regulator, a needle valve to control the amount of gas you are putting out, and a solenoid valve to turn the flow of gas off and on. The regulator can be picked up at a welding shop or off ebay, there are Milwakee MA957 kits that give you the regulator and solenoid etc. I picked up a cheap regulator ($55) a decent needle valve ($45) a solenoid from an electrical wholesaler ($12) put a cord on the solenoid and made a bubble counter out of a small glass jar with a rubber stopper (6 bucks at a wine making store) and made a reactor(mixes the water and co2) out of plumbign stuff from totem (20 bucks-ish) There are sometimes used ones in the classifieds if you are lucky enough to scoop em up before anyone else does. Welcome and good luck.

36x16 seems like it'd be a 35 or 40 gal tank - not super common sizes. If you're at all handy and can build a canopy yourself, All Season Garden Center sells some good T5HO lights - they're about twice the size of a T5 bulb, and it's bulb and ballast in one.

If you're wanting to get into CO2 and fertilizing, you may want 2 or 3 - I'd aim for 2 watts per gallon, or just over. If you aren't ready to get things rolling right yet, then 1 or 2 would be enough.

Hey everyone been browsing for awhile so this is my into as well :)

I have had a couple plants in my 45 gal freshwater for awhile nothing that needed a co2 or significant lighting. I'm making the switch to probably a DIY co2 and now looking for some lighting options.

Before I spend the $200 plus that is what i saw at Big Al's today just looking for some advice. I think i should need in the 90 watt range if it is still planned out that way but really just looking for some recommendations that are cost effective that I can purchase. I currently have a black hood with a light that sits on top a plexi glass piece in the middle. So I am also looking for a new lid I assume and i guess that would be a glass top or something now adays. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Check out these websites if u have the time------> www.aquatic-eden.com and www.socaquascapers.com. Hope u will find them helpful and good luck