Question About Color Temp

rodsboys

I am running 2 double 36" bulb NO fixtures on a 36"X18"X 21"Tall aquarium(60 gallons). I have always used 6500 bulbs in past planted aquariums, but those were tiny tanks with screw in fixtures. What is the best combo of bulbs to use? Every aquarium bulb package claims to be good for plants regardless of the color temp(2800,4200,6500,10000,12000,18000, even actinic) And my "research" is not yielding any hard answers.

Also where is the cheapest source in the Edmonton area for your recommendation?

Best bulbs from what i have read are the 5000k or 6500k bulbs. This however is up in the air though as many people agree to just go with the color of bulbs that you like and the plants will grow anyways and thus the 10,000k bulbs would work just as good. Plants also need the entire spectrum of light for optimal grow and thus its recommended to have bulbs of different kelvin rating to get the peak points of a larger portion of the spectrum.

In my set-up i run with 8 t5ho bulbs being 2-6500k, 4-10,000k and 2 - 5000k, its not my favorite set-up because of the yellowish tinge to everything in the tank but the plants are loving it and grow like weeds. For your set-up i would recommend going with 1-6500k and 1-10000k in each of the no fixtures. You should have no problem locating your bulbs at totem or home depot for a much better price than an lfs.

If you're running T8s, then Home Depot seems to have the best prices - tho their selection seems to be going downhill. If you're wanting to get into T5HO, and can build a canopy for the tank, then All Seasons Garden Center is a good place for lights... and ferts, too. :)