Shrimp And Fish Compatability

Okotoks

Has anyone here had any issues with Stripe Rafael catfish harming or eating shrimp? I have a 4 inch long Rafael in my 50 gallon tank with eltric yellows, but I would like to get him into my 33 gallon, but I dont want him in there if he will eat my shrimp.

Thank you. The tank I plan to put any possible future shrimp with is 25 gallons, contains 10 white clouds, 2 cory cats and 11 neon tetras. It is full of live plants for the shrimp to hide amongst.

The only shrimp i wouldnt put in a community tank are ghost shrimp, i have add a few here and there, in fact i put 5 in the new setup i just moved everyone too and cant see any of them or any left over "bits" of them. As long as you get shrimp that actually hide unlike the ghosts, you should be fine. just get LOTS so if a few do end up food then you still have more left over. lol

• 3 weeks later...

I have my green shrimp in with my alvarezei swordtails, blue tetras and galaxy rasboras. I know they are still there as I do see some of them although I do have a big piece of driftwood in there so there is lots of nooks and crannys in there for the shrimplets to hide out, plus it is heavily planted. But as most of the others say, if it can fit in their mouth it will eat it.

• 2 weeks later...

In my 30g, I had my rummynose, cardinals and corydoras in with 5 red cherry and 6 crystal red, plus 5 amano shrimp. No one disappeared and 15 cherry shrimplets even grew up from my one female that had eggs. Strangely, the only shrimp death I had was from my assassin snail...One thing though, after I decided to just have a "shrimp only" tank, the shrimp were all out in the open, rather than hiding in the plants and on the bogwood. It's much nicer to keep them separate because you really get to see all the cool things they do. I also learned that the regular Otocinclus will not eat shrimp or shrimplet.